Ducati DesertX Fantic Motor Caballero

1 hour ago, Speedfrog said:

Looks like the ancestor of the modern Beak.

solvang-vintage-motorcycle-museum.jpg

Cool brakes. D no wind tunnel task. Hot inside is good, but not on a bike. Great engines.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, docc said:

I'm not sure a "Banter" thread can be drifted. They are like a conversation at a party....

Drifting a "How to" thread, on the other hand . . . <_<

D757D188-DE46-4D2B-89E4-06C44A3786AA.jpeg

• Haha 3

Those little Italian roadsters have such beautiful flowing lines;much more graceful, than the industrial beaky looking crap they're pushing out now,jmho.

I had a 1969-70? Italian matching twin for the small trail bikes that was rebadged and sold by Bombardier in Canada.

I "think" the company that made my 70-90? cc Bombardier trail bike was something like "Agratti Garelli" ? idk; looked just like that Caballerro.

• Thanks 1
  • Joe changed the title to Ducati DesertX Fantic Motor Caballero
14 hours ago, Speedfrog said:

Same motor as the Fantic

Indeed! and Minarelli was selling a load of "racing only" parts for it. Cylinders with improved transfers, Pistons, admission pipes, Dell'Orto, exhausts... these engines were completely customizable.

Maybe it was a good thing they stole mine after all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm almost a little jealous of what you guys could ride at that age. In Victoria, Australia there is no way for a teenager younger than 17 years 9 months to ride anything at all with a motor on the road. At that age, one can (or could when I was that age) get a learners permit. These days I believe it is a power to weight constraint, in my time it was a maximum 250cc motor. That's why the japanese 2-stroke 250cc pocket-rockets sold like hot cakes a few years later. When one turns 18, one can do the driver's license test (car and motorcycle). The constraint remains for at least a year, might be two years now. My first bike was a Suzuki GSX 250 E. I would have sold my granny to get Kawasaki KR 250.

I learned to ride in the paddocks on our farm when I was about 16 on one of these

1972_Honda_trail_90.jpg

Just about every farm in the area had one, and they all had a couple of feet of black plastic water pipe strapped, bolted, or wired on to the side away from the exhaust, pointed up at an angle to stick the handle of the shovel into. The shovel was for opening and closing the irrigation channels. The thing doesn't look quite right to me without a shovel sticking up out of the back. :grin:

If I remember rightly, ours was red, which may mean it was the "road" model and not a Trail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PS: the reason we (i.e me and my siblings) were allowed to ride the CT 90 is because my dad had upgraded to one of these:

ag100.jpg&sp=1683332077T27a9e778b47ee421

I can't remember having been allowed to ride that. Too powerful... ( 8.3 h.p. :o )

As I started looking for pictures of that, I found this:

https://supply.unicef.org/s0004120.html

apparently the thing is to this day "standard equipment" for Unicef missions,

and this article from 2017

https://www.mcnews.com.au/yamaha-ag-legend-back-better-than-ever/

The bike was great. Indestructable. I expect my dad never did any maintainance above putting fuel in it, and it went for years. I'm don't think ours had it, but newer ones had a side-stand on both sides so one could safely park the bike pretty much anywhere without having to juggle around to get it facing the right way to match the lay of the land. But I'm quite simply amazed that they are apparently still being produced. My dad bought his in about 1979. :)

• Like 1

One more...

The other bike we had on the farm was one of these:

6afebaf4f74b521f61f08f9442f86c34.jpg&sp=

My dad won it in a raffle at the Barooga Sports Club. My youngest brother got it. The bike was about the right size for maybe a 12-year-old. My brother was about 14 or 15, and well on the way to his adult height of around 6' tall. But he loved it.

We all rode it, me and my three brothers and my sister. But my sister gave up on it after she parked it in the electric fence. She left it there, walked back up to the house in a sulk, and demanded that someone go and fish it out. I think my oldest brother rescued it. :)

Surprisingly enough, we didn't manage to kill it. No maintainance of course. In the end it got passed on to the youngest son of a neighbour a couple of miles away.

• Like 1