Brembo brake pads

docc

Wish I could have kept it , now have a Le Mans without the fairing and a high bar conversion in my old age, I’ve owned and restored 15 V11s in the last 12 years, probably most of them in the UK

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2023 at 10:13 AM, Steve S said:

Wish I could have kept it , now have a Le Mans without the fairing and a high bar conversion in my old age, I’ve owned and restored 15 V11s in the last 12 years, probably most of them in the UK

Too cool, @Steve S ! I have long wondered how many V11 have benefited from your stewardship. :thumbsup:

Regarding the OE front brake pads, Tim at CadreCycle in Cincinnati, Ohio/USA, tells me he has three sets of these GU01654630 at $73.00US. Each V11 uses two sets.

This morning OPP Racing sent me a tracking number for the order I made last night. Another member here tells me he has used OPP extensively for Brembo components and parts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My "OE" Brembo pads should arrive in a couple more days from OPP Racing, Washington USA. I had to remove the Brembo "Sinter" pads after just 80 miles. I could already see/hear the rotors scoring.  YMMV, but I have had very poor results (excessive rotor wear) from HH rated pads on my V11 before. It seems the OE pads, and our rotors, are rated FF.  Certainly not "SHH."

IMG_9740.jpg

IMG_9741.jpg

IMG_9742.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

The single pin calipers are an older design and were replaced by the dual pin calipers. All V11 are the later ones, 1100Sport, Centauro and Calis prior to 2000use the older single pins. 

A good choice for organic brake pads are the TRW Lucas MCB 683 without any suffix. I used them on various bikes and they always performed well. They wear slightly faster than sintered pads but contribute to disc life. 

4 hours ago, motoguzznix said:

The single pin calipers are an older design and were replaced by the dual pin calipers. All V11 are the later ones, 1100Sport, Centauro and Calis prior to 2000use the older single pins. 

A good choice for organic brake pads are the TRW Lucas MCB 683 without any suffix. I used them on various bikes and they always performed well. They wear slightly faster than sintered pads but contribute to disc life. 

Thank you @motoguzznix!

That confirms all V11 have the 2-pin calipers, either Brembo P4 34/30 20.6800 or 20.9230 (I cannot tell the difference?)

I should have my OE-type Brembo pads by tomorrow. I am expecting black backings and an organic compound.  The pads are swimmingly easy to change, especially with the Sport on a lift. With good light. Near a coffee maker. With music playing . . . :sun:

• Haha 2

@Guzziglide posted this image of his caliper rebuild on his Café Sport . :thumbsup:

I never noticed the arrow etched in the retainer. I suppose it is obvious that this is the direction of travel of the rotor?

Screenshot_20230511_162836_Gallery.jpg

Proper black backing FF Brembo 107670810 pads cam today from OPP Racing. Thanks, again, @Speedfrog for the quick reply and links last week! :thumbsup::bier:

IMG_9752.jpg

We shall see how they bed in, but I have confidence that they are correct for the rotors instead of the "sinter" SHH rated pads from Brembo.

• Like 1

Glad I could be of assistance @docc

Might be worth a post in the "Encyclopedia of Compatible Parts". Along with the ones you mentioned from MG Cycles.

On 5/9/2023 at 6:16 PM, docc said:

Pretty sure I should have gone with these GG from MGCycle, instead of the SHH. My bad . . .

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_122&products_id=1604

And the ones @motoguzznix recommended.

On 5/11/2023 at 3:17 AM, motoguzznix said:

A good choice for organic brake pads are the TRW Lucas MCB 683 without any suffix.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

Another option for the front brakes pads is Brembo 07BB1907  — Blue backing / Organic Carbon Ceramic compound.

The last Brembo rear pads I found for the V11 are the blue backing. The wear pattern on the rotor looks "compatible." :huh2:

As far as I can discern, the (black backing) OE pads are FF, the blue backing "Carbon Ceramic" are GF.

*Perhaps* pads rated GG are okay? But I have had two distinctly bad experiences with HH and "SHH" pads on our rotors. Sure, they brake aggressively. Plan on new rotors.  :huh:

4 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

I just got new pads on my Sport a couple of weeks ago.  Oddly I was told the rears cost more than the fronts

I mean, there are 4 pads at the front and two at the rear. Not sure how the rear could "cost more."

Perhaps the message here is: Beware of aggressive HH and even "sinter" pads. If they eat your V11 rotors, you'll be halfway to a bad day. Replacing rotors makes any pads look cheap and easy.