Flywheel

cash1000

Does the position of the flywheel on the crankshaft affect the running of a V11 motor?

If flywheel is not in correct position I know that the S & T marks won’t be in correct position but that won’t affect running of motor. When I had the flywheel crack tested the caulk mark was mostly wiped off. I used what I thought was the mark when I reinstalled flywheel. As I’ve got the gearbox out I thought I should check. I’ve found instructions for flywheel position in Dave Richard’s Guzziology.

19 hours ago, cash1000 said:

Does the position of the flywheel on the crankshaft affect the running of a V11 motor?

If flywheel is not in correct position I know that the S & T marks won’t be in correct position but that won’t affect running of motor. When I had the flywheel crack tested the caulk mark was mostly wiped off. I used what I thought was the mark when I reinstalled flywheel. As I’ve got the gearbox out I thought I should check. I’ve found instructions for flywheel position in Dave Richard’s Guzziology.

Unlike some other Guzzi, the V11 does not get it's timing trigger from the flywheel, so (as you say) the position would only affect the markings (D/S) used to position the motor for the valve adjustments. 

Are the flywheel bolts symmetrical on the crank? Many manufacturers offset one hole so you can't change the orientation even if you want to.

1 hour ago, Pressureangle said:

Are the flywheel bolts symmetrical on the crank? Many manufacturers offset one hole so you can't change the orientation even if you want to.

It looks like the V11 flywheel (top right) could be bolted in any of six positions....

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, docc said:

It looks like the V11 flywheel (top right) could be bolted in any of six positions....

image.jpeg

It can. Only one is right, though. :)

• Like 1

Same problem with the small block motors, but only three possible positions. Still only one that is right, though. :)

The last time I bolted mine on (the flywheel, I mean... :whistle: ) I set the motor to one or the other of the TDC positions, and matched the appropriate mark on the flywheel to the sighting hole in the bell housing. I think that is more or less the only way to be sure of getting it right. :huh2:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

Yes they are so you can fit flywheel in any of 6 positions

• Like 1

The quick and easy solution for you is, I reckon, find the TDC positions, and put a paint spot on the flywheel (maybe two different colours or something...) in a suitable spot visible through the sight hole. :huh2:

Since the gearbox is out, and you wrote that the original markings are not really legible anymore, you might also be able to use a centre punch to put a permanent mark in the appropriate positions.

The shop manual I have says "Fit flywheel in reverse order to disassembly, using new bolts" with a note "Respect the timing marks". I hope that you were respectful to the timing marks ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, audiomick said:

The quick and easy solution for you is, I reckon, find the TDC positions, and put a paint spot on the flywheel (maybe two different colours or something...) in a suitable spot visible through the sight hole. :huh2:

Since the gearbox is out, and you wrote that the original markings are not really legible anymore, you might also be able to use a centre punch to put a permanent mark in the appropriate positions.

Thinking a punch maybe a bit aggresive but a dot of paint. Yes good idea. Otherwise totally go with what you are saying

23 hours ago, cash1000 said:

Thinking a punch maybe a bit aggresive...

One wouldn't have to hit it very hard to get a permanent mark, but yeah, ok. Alternatives that don't stress any bearings or what have you: a light touch with a drill or something along those lines.

Just thinking in terms of a mark that is still there should the paint flake off. :huh2:

4 hours ago, audiomick said:

One wouldn't have to hit it very hard to get a permanent mark, but yeah, ok. Alternatives that don't stress any bearings or what have you: a light touch with a drill or something along those lines.

Just thinking in terms of a mark that is still there should the paint flake off. :huh2:

I get what you mean. I'm thinking of possible fragile nature of single plate clutch flywheels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cash1000 said:

I get what you mean. I'm thinking of possible fragile nature of single plate clutch flywheels.

You're right to be careful. An aluminum alloy flywheel is susceptible to fatigue cracking. Any stress raiser (like a scratch, drill mark, gouge or dent) can become the crack initiation point on highly stressed alloy. You have seen how perfectly your flywheel has been machined, with careful radiuses around holes. That is why it hasn't cracked, and we know that some have gone bang. Cast iron flywheels are virtually immune to fatigue, so can tolerate punch and stamp marks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The motor isn't externally balanced but I would put it back together the way it came apart. Meaning flywheel in correct spot. Least you don't have to worry about intermediate plates.

• Like 2