Oil light on constant

Flooky

Hi folks,

I started the bike today and the oil light was on, through the revs, not flickering, on solid.

Searched this great site...

Took sump off, filter tight.

No recent oil changes ( so not 2 filter gaskets )

Nothing horrid in the sump and strainer clear

Oil level fine.

Refitted sump. Tried to remove oul pressure switch but seems tricky without removing tank. ( sundays job )

Any pointers would be great, is it likely to be the switch ( when i pull the wire off the light goes out )

Or something else ?

Cheers

Almost certainly what Chuck said

The switches are well known failure points.

If it was my bike, I'd order a new switch, but I wouldn't run the bike until I confirmed it, or put on a temp pressure gauge to confirm the engine pressure is good. Almost certainly the switch but even with the odds in my favour I wouldn't take a chance (but that's just me).

Another quick and dirty (literally) check would be to remove one of the head feeds or the switch and whirl it over on the starter, you'll soon know if engine pressure is good.............hint wear coveralls and old boots ;)

Pulling the wires off the switch confirms that the wiring and connectors are fine, it doesn't tell you anything about the pressure

Good luck with it

• Like 4

Thanks folks,

I will order a new switch tommorrow.

Got the old one off and i am now replacing the tank to pump fuel hose. This forum is great. I would be lost without it

• Like 7