Theft recovery - parts needed/ UK

Revilo

IMG_9112.HEICIMG_9112.HEIC

Hi Folks.

I had my 2003 Cafe Sport returned to me today looking somewhat the worse for wear nerving been stolen, and later recovered about 2 months ago.

I was offered a sum from the insurance company but chose the buy it back option. Now I have it and see it in the cold light of day I can't help wondering if I've done the right thing. Everything is a bit knocked about, but the real damage seems to be fairly superficial.

It's going to need some TLC, and I'm going to need a new head lamp, mirrors, indicators, fuel filler cap, ignition barrel and keys, clip-on bars, levers, L/H switch gear, Seat cover and cowl (bum stop), rear brake pedal, and somehow fix the side stand which has lost the weak lower mounting bolt and the bracket is quite bent out of alignment. If all that is all there is I think I'll have got away lightly!

I'd like to keep things fairly original but I'm going to have to keep the costs down. I'd be interested in any spare parts people may have gathering dust, or suggestions(especially about the head lamp and the side stand). I think some parts may be common to some Ducati's of the same vintage. Any thoughts very welcome.

Happier days ahead I hope.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Revilo I have some parts that might fit. Mostly from 2000 era California bikes but may be the same as used on V11. Ignition barrel and key, fuel cap with key, they don’t match. Left switch gear. Also a clutch lever and perch but I think it’s different than the V11. If you send me an email I can send you pics to verify if any of these parts will work.  Might not be too cheap to ship to UK. I’m in USA. But you can have the parts no charge just pay shipping. Brad

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fotoguzzi said:

...2000 era California bikes...Ignition barrel and key...

As I recently had cause to be looking for the back part of the ingnition switch myself recently, I got some tips from a couple of people. As far as I know, the ignition lock from a California EV should fit.

@Revilo is the whole lock missing, or just the switch part off the back? What happened to mine was that some one broke the back bit off. If yours was stolen, I could imagine that the same thing happened to yours.

My "informant" told me that lots of Aprilia scooters had Zadi locks/switches from the same series. The trick is to find one with four contacts. I still had the guts of the switch, and only needed the "bucket" that is contained in. That seems to be the same for a whole range of switches.

4 hours ago, audiomick said:

Here is the picture that Revilo put in his post. His link is to a GIMP image. Not everyone has GIMP, so I exported it as a JPEG.

IMG_9112.jpg

@Revilo bear with it. Best of luck with the restoration. :)

@Revilo

best to you.  build it the way you want it -  once it's done like you want, ride it, enjoy it.  Once you're riding it and happy, priceless. 

make it a journey and best of luck.

• Like 2

Hey Revilo;   That's sad to hear about your bike;from 10 ft away it still looks pretty good,but that's a daunting shopping list you have.

I've read a few times that the spine frames don't crash well. You have no way of knowing what type of Evil Knievel stunts the thieves attempted while they had your bike for their joy ride.

For peace  of mind and confidence,before you get too deep into it it would be nice to set it on a stand/jack of some sort so you could verify it's till plumb & square & take a real hard look for damage in known stressor areas,ie tranny bolt/brace,SS bracket bolt to engine,steering head,shock mount,torque arm etc.

When you mentioned needing a fuel filler cap,check to make sure it was wasn't pried off so roughly that a simple new cap won;t fit/work properly;same thing if your seat was pried off.

Finding parts on your own continent would simplify things. I think there are a few known guzzi breakers/used parts dealers in Europe,a quick search on your local EBAY might show someone breaking a bike for parts.     .

TLM would be worth a call,a search on their site for used V11 parts,shows they have lots,might be cheaper,idk.https://tlm.nl/search-results-page?q=v11&page=1&rb_product_condition=Used

Good luck

Thanks 80cx100. Some sound advice there. I am trawling through eBay, and have been contacting Gutsibits in the UK who have a few of the bits and pieces I need.

I have used tlm before, but hadn't thought about them for used parts. Will update when I make progress. It has to be on the back burner for a few weeks. Busy with too many other projects.

Cheers

• Like 1

I have a side stand that was sold as in good condition. When it turned up, it had a hero chamfer like my original, so never fitted it. Now a decade hence, not likely to now. PM what it is worth to you and your send to address.

• Like 1