Long Tank fuel line QD connector alternatives

audiomick

What I did today:

picked up these from the place I ordered them from.

large.IMG_20230519_164514.jpg

I placed the order based on a tip from a V11 specific german language forum. They look like what I've seen in pictures here and there, and fit the coupling from the fuel lines that I bought as a Guzzi part. Observant readers will be able to glean from the photo where I got them, what the part number there is, and how much I paid for them. Given that they are apparently a little harder to find than hen's teeth, I'm happy.:)

By the way, they got my name wrong. Somehow Germans never understand me when I say "Michael". Mostly they hear "Marco". "Marcel" is a new one.... :grin:

After that, I took her out and washed the oil off the sides of the sump at a car wash. A subsequent ride and dusting with talcum powder was supposed to show me where the oil was getting out. Unfortunately there was no positive result. I am now tending to suspect the source of the leak within the clutch housing. Bugger.... :angry:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a Ford part - that's a surprise. Next obvious question is if we can order them from our local Ford Dealer parts department. 

18 minutes ago, 4corsa said:

if we can order them from our local Ford Dealer parts department. 

Yes, good question for those in the USA. It's a Ford United Kingdom part. Mine came from the UK, too. I think those in North America would have to find a dealer who is willing to play along, or order on the 'net. :huh2:

Further info:

This one is apparently the same, except that it isn't red:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/394222620827?fits=Make%3AFord&_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D246078%26meid%3Da3bda077b0cb4463b5168fdf76300273%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D275676240672%26itm%3D394222620827%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganicWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

Since that is an e-bay ad that will probably go defunct one day, the Ford part number is 1072003

And (probably) the same part at Wendel for a "slightly" higher price.... ;)

https://wendelmotorraeder.de/anschluss-benzinpumpe-90-weiss_ap8104192-p-3037788.html?ref=expl

Edit: Stein-Dinse apparently has a similarly priced option, and a less expensive one (with a very long delivery time...):

https://www.stein-dinse.com/de/search.html?grp=&searchStr=AP8104192

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, docc said:

Posts moved for clarity and technical discussion . . .

Hmm... I believe this discussion is about fuel line QD connectors... not spark plug boots.

You might wanna fix that title @docc, but maybe not until you get a good night rest... ;)

• Thanks 1

• docc changed the title to fuel line QD connector alternatives
12 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

Hmm... I believe this discussion is about fuel line QD connectors... not spark plug boots.

You might wanna fix that title @docc, but maybe not until you get a good night rest... ;)

Thanks for checking my work, @Speedfrog

Title corrected, new topic created . . .

• docc changed the title to Long Tank fuel line QD connector alternatives
On 5/19/2023 at 5:36 PM, audiomick said:

What I did today:

picked up these from the place I ordered them from.

large.IMG_20230519_164514.jpg

I placed the order based on a tip from a V11 specific german language forum. They look like what I've seen in pictures here and there, and fit the coupling from the fuel lines that I bought as a Guzzi part. Observant readers will be able to glean from the photo where I got them, what the part number there is, and how much I paid for them. Given that they are apparently a little harder to find than hen's teeth, I'm happy.:)

By the way, they got my name wrong. Somehow Germans never understand me when I say "Michael". Mostly they hear "Marco". "Marcel" is a new one.... :grin:

After that, I took her out and washed the oil off the sides of the sump at a car wash. A subsequent ride and dusting with talcum powder was supposed to show me where the oil was getting out. Unfortunately there was no positive result. I am now tending to suspect the source of the leak within the clutch housing. Bugger.... :angry:

OMG , I was lookin' at this half asleep earlier (last night or this morning)  and thought it was a spark plug wire end ! 

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, gstallons said:

OMG , I was lookin' at this half asleep earlier (last night or this morning)  and thought it was a spark plug wire end ! 

Haha! Glad I wasn't the only one! :grin: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi,

Stupid question....So, both tank fittings are the same part number?  Although I've had my tank off a few times, I never bothered to notice if both tank fittings were the same other than I think one is red and the other is white.

Also, how are the original fittings removed from the tank/pump base plate?  Just curious, hope I never need to do that, replacing the internal filter, lines & gasket were fun enough. 

Thanks,

Art

1 hour ago, guzziart said:

...So, both tank fittings are the same part number?  ... my tank... I think one is red and the other is white.

I believe they are both the same number. Check the parts lists to be sure. If yours are two different colours, I would assume that one has been replaced (the white one...). I gather there is also a Ford item that is white but otherwise identical.

31 minutes ago, audiomick said:

I believe they are both the same number. Check the parts lists to be sure. If yours are two different colours, I would assume that one has been replaced (the white one...). I gather there is also a Ford item that is white but otherwise identical.

Thanks for researching and posting this information on sourcing these replacement connectors.  It has always concerned me a bit that they were plastic, and over time might degrade and break just on their own or when put under stress such as removing the tank.  Interestingly no one has mentioned these being a notable failure point though, so perhaps they were well engineered and used quality plastics.  But it's great to now have the part numbers and alternate sources!  :thumbsup:

Regarding the colors; one connector should be white, and the other red, from the factory as seen in the thread and photo below. 

One assumes this coloring is to help guide reattaching the correct hose back to its corresponding nipple. 

Although since the 2003 fuel pump and pressure regulators are internal to the tank I'm not sure (from memory) it really matters which hose and nipple is attached?  :huh2:

pump_module_2.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Al.

Regarding colours, I'll have to look at mine again. I thought they were both red, but I'm not absolutely sure.

I'm surprised that you say no one has mentioned them breaking here. I've seen that mentioned a number of times in geman language forums. That is why I bought spares...

I'm not sure it it is important which way around they are connected. That would depend on whether the circuit has any valves in it, I guess. I saw on a drawing somewhere that one (the one to the outside, if I remember correctly...) is the feed for the injectors, and the other is the return back to the tank. If the circuit past the injectors is just an open loop, I suppose it wouldn't matter which way around they are connected, but I really don't know.

5 minutes ago, audiomick said:

I thought they were both red, but I'm not absolutely sure.

5 minutes ago, audiomick said:

I've seen that mentioned...

7 minutes ago, audiomick said:

I'm not sure...

7 minutes ago, audiomick said:

That would depend...

10 minutes ago, audiomick said:

if I remember correctly...

11 minutes ago, audiomick said:

I suppose...

12 minutes ago, audiomick said:

but I really don't know.

Sorry mate but reading your post I couldn’t help thinking, how much help can this be? :ninja: 

• Like 1