Cracked gearbox case.

activpop

Wondering what years and models were more prone to case weakness and cracking? Its hard to check this out without stripping bike down, which you really can't do on a visit to check out for purchase. So I assume there is a higher risk of getting a  bad surprise on some years than others.  I think there was a change in 2004 to the case and maybe not an issue there? Not sure though.

Short frame V11 1999-2001 (Sport and Rosso Mandello).

I am not sure a cracked gearbox mounting boss has ever been reported on a braced Long Frame 2002-2005.   :huh2:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, LowRyter said:

https://www.motivcycleworks.com/

Your profile says an '01:

contact Don and get the bellhousing bracket.  Don't let the tranny crack like mine did.  I'm sure I paid for the r&d for the bracket.  Tell 'em John sent ya.  

This:

55_pct_frame_mount.JPG

Seen looking forward from the left, airbox removed:

frame_plate.JPG

Frame plate seen from the right, looking up past the throttle rod:

IMG_2334.jpg

Red Spine Frame shown from the bottom, attachment tab is the smaller, further forward (to the right in the image):

Screen%20Shot%202020-11-15%20at%206.29.2

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Very, very difficult to photograph the cracked gearbox mount point in situ . Using a bright flashlight/"torch", it can be seen. Much harder with the bike leaned over on the sidestand.

Seen from the left of the bike, kneeling with head ducked and cocked, peering in:

Mount point of concern/center, below the red frame tab; white throttle rod knob/10:00; shock reservoir/5:00; starter cover/7-8:00 . . .

IMG_9891.jpg

If you own a red frame bike , you need one of these brackets PERIOD . I would puke if my trans. case cracked . This is the cure .

IMO , there was not a proper radius made or cut into this case to prevent cracking. this stuff is a science all by itself.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gstallons said:

If you own a red frame bike , you need one of these brackets PERIOD . I would puke if my trans. case cracked . This is the cure .

IMO , there was not a proper radius made or cut into this case to prevent cracking. this stuff is a science all by itself.

@Lucky Phil's outstanding (as usual) tutorial and outcome regarding the case crack issue:

15 hours ago, LowRyter said:

https://www.motivcycleworks.com/

Your profile says an '01:

contact Don and get the bellhousing bracket.  Don't let the tranny crack like mine did.  I'm sure I paid for the r&d for the bracket.  Tell 'em John sent ya.  

I do have the bracket for my V11. Still on the lift getting driveline renewed with unis. Been at a standstill for a bit, life gets in the way sometimes. When the bike comes down that will be the next installation. Hoping to find everything there intact. Don't need any "oh shit" surprises.

• Like 1

It seems that this bracket fits the red frame bikes only . I bought two to install on both bikes. The bracket went on the red frame and had frame mounts to bolt to the frame.

The black frame would not accept a bracket . I think I sold the spare to someone here .

24 minutes ago, gstallons said:

It seems that this bracket fits the red frame bikes only . I bought two to install on both bikes. The bracket went on the red frame and had frame mounts to bolt to the frame.

The black frame would not accept a bracket . I think I sold the spare to someone here .

Correct. There is only the underside mount tab on the RedFrames. Apparently, the 2001 Rosso Mandello ShortFrame (painted black) does not have the tab. IIRC, @Tinus89 added a tab to his Rosso Mandello frame the brace it. :thumbsup::luigi:

The later V11 tube-braced LongFrame, 2002-2005, does not have the underside tab for the plate, but probably* braces the engine-> swingarm across the gearbox adequately with the lower tube braces from the rear subframe (seen below, just above the exhaust).

20170606-2002-moto-guzzi-v11-lemans-tenn

*Does anyone recall a cracked gearbox mounting boss on a LongFrame V11?

• Like 1

moto-guzzi-v11-le-mans-2003-7.jpg&f=1&no

I know this post is redundant, but the later LongFrame lower/rear subframe "tube" brace is clearly visible on this Rosso Corsa and the image is just so compelling and begs to be shared! :drink:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MartyNZ said:

I expect that a gearbox from a crashed bike could be cracked if the engine got a smack from the front.

True, that.

Seems all of the cracked cases I have seen are silver and were discovered without apparent incident.

My dealer told me that landing wheelies on a V11 ShortFrame could do that . . . :o

I said, "It wasn't me!" :huh:

• Haha 1