TPS Throttle Position Sensor

docc

2 hours ago, docc said:

This got me thinking. The conventional wisdom has been that the TPS cannot be sprayed/treated/cleaned, but that referred to when it is attached, in place.

Hey Docc,    Iirc,I'm sure I've read of guys while the TPS is still mounted on the bike;drilling tiny holes in strategic spots in the case,spraying DeOxit inside,moving the TPS back&forth a few times to clean the contact surfaces,then sealing it up again with RTV/JBWeld etc and bringing bad TPSs back to life.

Fwiw Idk

• Like 1

I opened my TPS, and cleaned the inside with IPA. I reassembled it with a smear of lightweight white lithium grease.

It was slightly better, but not really worth the effort. The contact wipers wear the resistor film, and nothing can save or restore  that.

I bought a new TPS.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

The contact wipers wear the resistor film, and nothing can save or restore  that.

Same as the faders and pots on audio equipment. Sooner or later a point is reached where they are just worn out, and must be replaced. :huh2:

For those wishing to have a go at rejuvenating a tiring TPS, this would be the appropriate Caig product, I believe:

https://caig.com/fader-f-series/

That is, according to the blurb, specifically formulated for exactly that application, i.e. cleaning the contacts in a pot or fader. I would be very reluctant to put the D-series oder G-series contact cleaner in a pot. I'd be afraid it might just eat away the contact strip.

Caig also offers a grease that looks like it should be suitable for the application

https://caig.com/deoxit-grease-landing/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

Same as the faders and pots on audio equipment. Sooner or later a point is reached where they are just worn out, and must be replaced. :huh2:

For those wishing to have a go at rejuvenating a tiring TPS, this would be the appropriate Caig product, I believe:

https://caig.com/fader-f-series/

That is, according to the blurb, specifically formulated for exactly that application, i.e. cleaning the contacts in a pot or fader. I would be very reluctant to put the D-series oder G-series contact cleaner in a pot. I'd be afraid it might just eat away the contact strip.

Caig also offers a grease that looks like it should be suitable for the application

https://caig.com/deoxit-grease-landing/

Thanks for the link on the fader series.  I didn't know Caig made this product.  I will start using this on my vintage audio restoration projects!

• Like 1

From very recent experience, be careful getting DeOxit on the soft rubber seals (like the one on the TPS) or the ones connecting ECU's on later CARC bikes as the chemicals cause the rubber to swell, which then get pinched when snapping the connector back in place, and then frequently cause a tear or not completely seated seal.

• Thanks 4

14 hours ago, 4corsa said:

Never wanting to miss out on a good preventative medicine tip, I also sprayed some Deoxit on my TPS connection. For the first time I noticed that little open gap at the front of the TPS and body as shown in the attached photo. I'm assuming this is by design, but seems to be a place water can easily enter. Any thoughts on why this gap exists?c6dd6c8fa870ddfef1a3b63585612986.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I always shoot some contact cleaner into that gap too.   

Next time I'll throw salt over my shoulder.

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

From very recent experience, be careful getting DeOxit on the soft rubber seals (like the one on the TPS) or the ones connecting ECU's on later CARC bikes as the chemicals cause the rubber to swell, which then get pinched when snapping the connector back in place, and then frequently cause a tear or not completely seated seal.

Ah-HA! That's why my seals are torn and the connectors are hard to put together! :blush:

• Like 2

I use something on all electrical connections . The Deutch connectors on stuff at work are a bear , I use Motorcraft electrical grease or Lubriplate 105 white grease on everything . 

• Like 3

I wonder if I can find an assortment pack of those "corrugated" seals used on our connectors. Are they "AMP?"

And , thanks for the o-rings for the throttle air bypass screws ! I sent you a PM  about the fish oil and about the balance too .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, docc said:

I wonder if I can find an assortment pack of those "corrugated" seals used on our connectors. Are the "AMP?"

Mmmm. which connectors are you talking about ?

23 minutes ago, gstallons said:

Mmmm. which connectors are you talking about ?

Like the one to the TPS. These are all over the V11.

I will look . I think there is a website for all automotive connectors (not cheap) and I don't know if the seal is available separately. I will see if I can find anything or anyone can search engine to find them.