TPS Throttle Position Sensor

docc

On 5/25/2023 at 2:41 AM, PJPR01 said:

... be careful getting DeOxit on the soft rubber seals ... as the chemicals cause the rubber to swell...

I wonder if washing the seal in hot water and detergent, then drying for a day or two, would let it shrink back to normal.

• Like 1

Noooo. the omly way to fix this is with a new one. It seems like this seal and Deoxit are not compatible . I use Motorcraft electrical grease . It is available through Ford dealers . the compound is made by NYE lubricants . This stuff is for computer circuit boards , aircraft applications , etc.  High tech and a fair price .  

I use dielectric grease in spark plug boots & that's about it.

• Like 1

Looking at the datasheet for the TE Superseal 3 way connector, the dimensions do not match the Delphi connector for the TPS on the Caspers breakout harness.

Looking further into Delphi, I see this Metri-Pack connector, but can't find a dimensioned drawing. This does appear to be the correct connector for our TPS.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Aptiv-formerly-Delphi/12162280?qs=TcI%2BB%2FoBdJs3bmRc88sY3Q%3D%3D

Best price, on the female connector, I have found (even has the green seal):

https://www.eficonnection.com/home/product/delphi-3-way-black-metri-pack-150-2-sealed-female-connector-2

100-00414.png

• Like 1

Caspers got back to me immediately and confirmed that the main "cavity" seal is not available separately from their suppliers. He offered to pull one off a send it to me, but I declined and thanked them for offering the TPS breakout harness.

My plan is to buy a few of these connectors to get the seals. More SpineRaid swag!

Still, hard to believe the main seals are nowhere to be found separately . . . 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, docc said:

Still, hard to believe the main seals are nowhere to be found separately . . . 

Makes perfect sense from a marketing point of view: the manufacturer makes more profit by only selling the plug complete. :huh2:

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 11:00 AM, audiomick said:

Makes perfect sense from a marketing point of view: the manufacturer makes more profit by only selling the plug complete. :huh2:

I dunno. All of the other components are available separately, including the individual wire seals.

Once in hand, I intend to "start a new topic" related to seal failure and the concern over using connector treatments, specifically our beloved Caig DeOxit®.

[edit: Thanks, again, to @PJPR01 for the heads-up on the swell/tear issue . . .]

[edit2 June 20, 2023:

• Like 3

On 6/5/2023 at 4:04 PM, docc said:

Looking further into Delphi, I see this Metri-Pack connector, but can't find a dimensioned drawing. This does appear to be the correct connector for our TPS.

Found this; it might be helpful.

https://www.mouser.com/pdfdocs/Delphi_Metri_Pack_150_Series_Section.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

Yes, our TPS connector is shown on page 76 of that document as an "assembly" including the female connector with the cavity seal in place.

C Part No: 12052641 (Black/Green Seal)

Description: Connector Assembly 3F

• Thanks 1

I don't have the bike nor the Casper breakout harness nearby to check, but referring to the picture you posted earlier, that would be a Metri-Pack 150.2 series connector, found on page 76 of that pdf. Unfortunately there is no detailed drawing/datasheet but only nominal dimensions. However, it references all the specs between the different part numbers associated to each type of connector.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

Yes, our TPS connector is shown on page 76 of that document as an "assembly" including the female connector with the cavity seal in place.

[edit/part no]    C Part No: 12162182 (Black/Green Seal)

Description: Connector Assembly 3F

43 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

I don't have the bike nor the Casper breakout harness nearby to check, but referring to the picture you posted earlier, that would be a Metri-Pack 150.2 series connector, found on page 76 of that pdf. Unfortunately there is no detailed drawing/datasheet but only nominal dimensions. However, it references all the specs between the different part numbers associated to each type of connector.

Agreed. I feel confident we have identified this connector. It is still strange, to me, that the main cavity sea is not available separately, but such is often the matter of "manufacturer's assemblies", as @audiomick so noted.

CaspersElectronics was so prompt and courteous, offering to send me a seal off of one their connectors. I just could not accept as I have ruined these seals myself, unknowingly, with the Caig DeOxit. 

There is a broad mix of connectors on our V11. There appear to be TE "AMP" SuperSeal, rectangular ("AMP" ?) that are not "SuperSeal", bullet connectors, ring terminals, spade connectors, and certainly this one Metri-Pack . . .

Is there an Italian phrase for "what have you ?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

@docc, I see you've edited your earlier post following the info I provided, but the part # you gave does not correspond to anything on that page... (C Part No: 12052641 (Black/Green Seal:huh2:

OTOH, if it's only the seal you're after... Here: https://www.customconnectorkits.com/12162280/

Yes, sorry, not all of my edits came through. Corrected now (the wrong number is a two wire).

12162182 is the black connector/ green seal, 3 wire. The 12162280 you linked is grey, but correct. And BEST PRICE of all!

As always, I just just be more patient before making the order for parts.  :notworthy:  @Speedfrog will nail it down! :thumbsup: