fuel efficiency

mikev

@mikev

I got back from a 620 miles trip last Friday, the 26th of May.

Up to now, I averaged about 44 mpg while cross country. In the city, around 40 mpg.

For this trip though, I averaged 46 mpg. I am still to refuel since I came back. Once I do, I will post the details under Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas 2023.

I have so far scrupulously refueled at the 150 miles mark.

However for this trip, I decided to push my refuels further. I have ran longer intervals, getting closer to 200 miles.

Now this may not be a reference you can trust; when I am on highways, I tuck myself behind the screen of the Le Mans. But when I don't, in the city, I get better mpg than 35. Close to 40 mpg.

If this can be a clue, I run the V11 at optimum torque. I am very conservative.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, p6x said:

@mikev

I got back from a 620 miles trip last Friday, the 26th of May.

Up to now, I averaged about 44 mpg while cross country. In the city, around 40 mpg.

For this trip though, I averaged 46 mpg. I am still to refuel since I came back. Once I do, I will post the details under Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas 2023.

I have so far scrupulously refueled at the 150 miles mark.

However for this trip, I decided to push my refuels further. I have ran longer intervals, getting closer to 200 miles.

Now this may not be a reference you can trust; when I am on highways, I tuck myself behind the screen of the Le Mans. But when I don't, in the city, I get better mpg than 35. Close to 40 mpg.

If this can be a clue, I run the V11 at optimum torque. I am very conservative.

Remarkable fuel economy! I suspect a very "steady state" throttle at a rather constant rpm . . .

9 hours ago, docc said:

Have you ever heard a V11 rider complain about running issues from 5000 rpm and up ?!?  :race:

WHEEEEE-eeee-EEEEEEEE~E~E~E ! ! ! ! ! ! !

:thing:

Ha ha

After a crap day at work what a tonic.....

Hilarious!

Cheers mate.

• Like 2

I finished my fuel test today, 6 gallons, 220 miles; so about 37 mpg.

And no, my fuel light doesn't work, as I coasted into the gas station.

• Thanks 1

I would be quite pleased with37.

Six gallons from a V11 tank! Oh, my . . . 

Check the wiring on your fuel level sensor, especially coming out of the sensor. Also, could be as simple as a bulb . . .

I did recently install LEDS for all of my instrument lights so I believe the light should be good, connections still look good too. As long as I have the odometer, I'll monitor fuel like most my other bikes. It bugs the light doesn't work though, I'll probably end up chasing it.

6 gallons, yeah I was surprised. It was EMPTY!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LaGrasta said:

I did recently install LEDS...the light doesn't work though...

I don't know enough about the circuit or the sensor to guess, but could it be that it needs the resistance of a conventional light globe to work properly? :huh2:

• Like 1

All the dash lights can be converted to LED, with the exception of the one that governs the turn signals/blinkers...those only work on 1 side if converted to LED.  But having brighter LED's on the rest of the dash lights (and coupled with the jeweled screen) really is a nice modernization touch.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Idk exactly how much gas gets consumed & mileage figures etc;but what I can say for certainty,is that like all my guzzis,I get decent range & mpg on my V11 Lemans.

My last ride was a hard fast run, up to the top of Opeongo mountain & back home 235 kms.

Idk how much gas is left in the tank,it was full when I started,& the fuel warning light was just lighting up as I wheeled the bike into the garage.

fwiw, ymmv, literally :D

• Haha 1

@PJPR01 I converted all of mine to LEDS, and you are correct, I can't get the right signal to flash on the panel. I didn't know this was common, I kept checking everything over and over and finally gave up. I guess I'll swap that bulb back the next time I'm in there. Thanks for sharing this knowledge. 

This may be what @audiomick is onto as well. Maybe the resistance isn't enough. At least now I know when I hit 200 miles, I only have about 20 or so left in the tank.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LaGrasta said:

@PJPR01 I converted all of mine to LEDS, and you are correct, I can't get the right signal to flash on the panel. I didn't know this was common, I kept checking everything over and over and finally gave up. I guess I'll swap that bulb back the next time I'm in there. Thanks for sharing this knowledge. 

This may be what @audiomick is onto as well. Maybe the resistance isn't enough. At least now I know when I hit 200 miles, I only have about 20 or so left in the tank.

Simple enough to push an incandescent bulb back into the Fuel Level socket and see if it lights as expected . . .

Here is a post by our illustrious @Kiwi_Roy declaring the LED will need additional resistance to function with the thermistor:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Regarding KiwiRoy's advice: a resistor in parallel to the LED will do the job as well. Just don't ask me what the resistance needs to be. It should be possible to calculate the value on the basis of the wattage of the bulb and the 12V nomimal voltage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistance_and_conductance

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

After searching for resistors to purchase, I discovered my LEDs, already have built in resistors. So, either they are not enough resistance or it's something else that keeps the right signal from flashing the dash. 

As for the low fuel light, I'll have to get the ohm meter out and see what's up.

15 minutes ago, docc said:

Possibly wired in backwards?

I bought a sylvania or wagner LED pilot light for the Lemans, the instructions indicated that if it doesn't work reinstall it the other way it would fit into the socket ( for correct polarity purposes).

• Like 1