QUOTA 1100ES: why would you run a breather tube from the filler cap of the rear drive?

p6x

Tread saver edt bolt :rasta:

Cheers Tom.

*moderator edit: Trying to figure out where a Quota thread belongs . . . .

Leave it, move it, "Special Banter?" . . . .

50 minutes ago, docc said:

*moderator edit: Trying to figure out where a Quota thread belongs . . . .

No need; It is not going any further than finding about it. If I need to get some specifics, I will start another thread.

54 minutes ago, Speedfrog said:

"Older models"??

Any of the 7 generations, 1991 till 1996 for the 1000 and 1997 until 2000 for the 1100 ES. I understand the 1000 were never imported in the USA

8 hours ago, docc said:

Leave it here. The thread is running a bit like a conversation in front of "the Garage" over a quiet beer.

Given that the topic has roved from Quotas over V11 und back to Quota, I reckon it is a bit more general even than the "Older Models" section. :huh2:

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

Just saw this as a 'whatizzit' on FB groups. I directed him here, of course.

So this is how the top plug looks like stock?

I can see it is opened to the atmosphere, the mesh should suffice to prevent oil from coming out. Unless of course a passage in mud plugs it. But this plug would defeat the purpose to run a long unaesthetic tube from the plug to the rear of the engine.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, p6x said:

So this is how the top plug looks like stock?

I can see it is opened to the atmosphere, the mesh should suffice to prevent oil from coming out. Unless of course a passage in mud plugs it. But this plug would defeat the purpose to run a long unaesthetic tube from the plug to the rear of the engine.

No, this is actually an exhaust vent for air control systems- they call it a muffler, as it quiets the exhaust and prevents pests from going into the system. 

• Like 2

I spoke to the previous owner of the Quota 1100ES whom installed a long breather hose from that plug.

He did it because he had heard from other users that water could enter the rear drive from there.

So, Q.E.D. then!!!

(quod erat demonstrandum) for those who never had to study Greek at school...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

yeah yeah...ipso facto and cogito ergo sum...

4 years of Latin in school...got to love Caesar and The Gallic wars and a bit of Cicero.  Fond memories of Declensions and Conjugations, Tenses, Moods etc...

Just to piss off our old Irish, ex priest Latin teacher, we'd all sing from time to time:

Latin is a language

As dead as dead can be

First it killed Caesar

and Now it's killing me!

QED

• Haha 2

I had to take Greek and Latin classes in school as well as they were mandatory back then. What wasn’t mandatory I recall, was to remember any of it beyond these classes… I also recall that speaking in dead tongues wasn’t very effective in impressing the pretty girls… :rasta:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1