Oil Leak from the Top

LowRyter

I’ve had mine installed from MG Cycles with the expensive stainless hose clamps for 1000+ miles no issues. :helmet:

IMG_7297.jpeg

IMG_7298.jpeg

Crankcase oil vent hose, $20

Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C2Y22S?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I currently am using this on my 2003. Note: As this hose is intended for water, it is not oil certified. However others have noted no signs of wear for well over 10,000 miles. Even then, no loss of oil, only degradation of the rubber. At this price, and ease of replacement, it serves us to install, and monitor, and replace as needed versus OEM that is hardly available and cost threes times this amount.

Taken from this thread, 

• Thanks 1

The only thing with that is, whether a radiator hose is oil resistant. :huh2:

On the weekend I finally met my good source of information in person. I spoke with him about exactly that hose. His advice was to buy the expensive one from Wendel

https://wendelmotorraeder.de/oelschlauch-entlueftung-dick_gu30157400-p-1009234.html?ref=expl

in his opinion, it should last a while.

The equivalent from Stein Dinse is probably this

Sorry, can't post that link. Stein Dinse appears to be updating their site, and I can't access it. :wacko:

• Thanks 1

The new breather hose was leaking,  hate to call it a crack.  It looked like a razor blade cut perpendicular about 1/2" long on the bottom side of the bend in the hose.  Picked up a Gates reinforced host for $17 at O'Reilly's.  Total PIA.

Good luck with hoses.  Hope you can learn from my experience. 

Knock wood and hoping for smooth riding on all my Guzzis for another 50k miles. 

• Like 2

Really to many incidents with new hoses. Mine dry at the moment, and have a few spares treated with Shin Etsu, but 2 copper bends and #1 hose, is more than a thought. We like to have thoughts about our girls :rasta:, right.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

From Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans Riders Facebook:
Q: So have my bike a day, done 300 km, ive noticed a little bit of oil on top of engine. Under the airbox. Drops down on the right side of the block above the gearbox. I figured it was the crankcase  vent piping  but although it needs changing doesn't seem to be the cause. The return to the airbox is on the other side of the airbox in relation to where the little puddle of oil is. What can it be from?
A1: Look at the hose from the top of gearbox to the spine breather which I replaced and also I flushed the breather thru the frame by taking the big return pipe off at the banjo return to sump
EDIT I pushed the kero thru the frame via the banjo near steering head
Then i flushed thru with kerosene gun under air pressure to flush all the mayonnaise etc out of frame breather. I caught the old mayonnaise and oil as it came out of frame. Then pushed compressed air thru to blow all kero out etc. New crush washers on the banjo and then I did an oil change
A lot of yucky mayonnaise and oil came out of frame. Once clear havent had any issues since
Hope this makes sense. It clears out the breathing path from crankcase etc so bike breathes better when vapours circulated
A2: when i first got the bike, none of the hoses were attached to the airbox, there was oil leaking all over the left cylinder, from the look of the pictures yours might just be from poor seals or cracked hoses.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/129462630430089/permalink/6511112688931686/

image.jpeg

• Thanks 2

On 7/20/2023 at 10:23 AM, worthyperformance said:

From Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans Riders Facebook:
Q: So have my bike a day, done 300 km, ive noticed a little bit of oil on top of engine. Under the airbox. Drops down on the right side of the block above the gearbox. I figured it was the crankcase  vent piping  but although it needs changing doesn't seem to be the cause. The return to the airbox is on the other side of the airbox in relation to where the little puddle of oil is. What can it be from?
A1: Look at the hose from the top of gearbox to the spine breather which I replaced and also I flushed the breather thru the frame by taking the big return pipe off at the banjo return to sump
EDIT I pushed the kero thru the frame via the banjo near steering head
Then i flushed thru with kerosene gun under air pressure to flush all the mayonnaise etc out of frame breather. I caught the old mayonnaise and oil as it came out of frame. Then pushed compressed air thru to blow all kero out etc. New crush washers on the banjo and then I did an oil change
A lot of yucky mayonnaise and oil came out of frame. Once clear havent had any issues since
Hope this makes sense. It clears out the breathing path from crankcase etc so bike breathes better when vapours circulated
A2: when i first got the bike, none of the hoses were attached to the airbox, there was oil leaking all over the left cylinder, from the look of the pictures yours might just be from poor seals or cracked hoses.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/129462630430089/permalink/6511112688931686/

image.jpeg

Linking this to the Tank Off Maintenance Checklist.

Something I need to see to, myself . . . :thumbsup:

• Like 3