"X" Pipe replacement

Guest JohnInNH

Guest JohnInNH

Replacing the stock crossover on my 1996 Cal 1100i with a "H" Pipe made a huge difference. I was wondering if replacing the stock crossover with a Stucchi stainless steel crossover for V11 would do the same.

Has any one had any experience with this replacement? Do you know anyone who has put one on?

I have just rolled the odometer past the 300 mile mark. My Smile is getting bigger as the miles accumulate.

Any suggestions?

I had thought a Stucchi crossover, a PC III, and Mistral pipes would do it.

Just by reading famous Guzziology I could not figure out if our bikes have crossover internals hollow or, like Jackal and Stone contain an extra muffler or even God forbid muffler AND catalytic converter like late Swiss models.

Does anybody feel like taking the crossover out and tell us? You will be able to see straight through the crossover if there is no muffler inside. If the inlet immediately curves into the crossover without a direct path to the same side muffler, the crossover is also a muffler.

If thats the case any hollow crossover will help a lot, even if it's not Stucci.

I've mounted the Stucchi crossover together with oval carbons, and I can say that there is a big increase in power especially in the midrange. And the sound is allright too... :rolleyes:

But there is also a downside: at 3K rpm with engine hot, the V11 stutters. I'll have to visit my dealer to have the whole thing properly adjusted.

I'll let you know if this turns out allright.

Don't forget: Loud pipes save lives!

Could do me a favour Jaap and look down the stock x-over pipe and tell us if its hollow inside as per my post above?

Thanks, John

Guest JohnInNH

Jaap,

My 2002 LeMans with 400 miles has a slight "stumble" at 3k. I don't think I would have thought much of it since it is barely noticeable. I notice it in the exhaust note more than feel it. I thought it was a lean spot or something. After reading your post I looked for it.

This is at exactly 3K with everything STOCK (for now).

FYI .. Last 2 two 100 mile fill ups were 38.9 MPG and 42 MPG. The 42 MPG had 40 miles on the highway @80 MPH (just following the traffic still getting passed) with a 3-5 minute run at 100+ to get a better look at the babe in the Dodge Sebring convertible.... She liked my LeMans cuz I know she was not smiling at ME!

I think a re-mapping of the ECU is needed. Todd will post a long note in the MGCL List shortly with his findings with the Power Commander.

Guest v11eric

On mine previous Guzzi a Centauro, I had mounted the Mistrall crossover, for mine feel this was a good job, the midranche was noticeble improverd and it got a lot of noise. After putting it on the testbench, I was les happy :wacko: Testbenches don't lie, the midranche was inproved abit, the giant dip was a little dip, and I lost 10bhp at the top :( This was explained by the fact that by the mistrall crossover both gasflows has to enter the same hole. By Stuccy crossovers the gasses can go straight true and they should perform much better, not a good investment from mine side and if I had never tested them I would have been happy whith them. :wacko::wacko:

noise and power

Eric 01 V11 Lemans

Guest Mike Stewart

I have a 2000 V11 sport and changed the stock mufflers due to scratches in the finish. I replaced them with Mistral oval carbons and did notice a decrease in midrange performance. Top end was ok due to the stock computor going full rich at full throttle. The only way to get the midrange back was to install a powercommander! (one could also have the stock computor reflashed by FIM). Power from idle to redline is increased and very smooth. Low speed driveabality is greatly improved, makes the bike funner to ride. I then installed the Stucchi crossover and I agree with their dyno chart that it does take out the dips in the torque curve. This bike rocks!

Mike Stewart

2000 Green V11S

2002 Cal. Special Sport

....well, yes "test-benches don't lie" ... but keep in mind that your "butt" is probably the best gauge of performance there is, from your point of view. :)

So if the Centauro with the Mistral "felt" faster in real-world riding to you, then that's all that really mattered.

And it's also keen to remember that torque is really what we "feel" when we ride, not HP. So if there was a small bump in torque or even HP in the low/midrange where we all mostly ride, then that probably represented the most bang-for-your-buck than high-RPM power. You probably would never notice the 10hp at the very top-end in normal day-to-day riding, unless you were racing where there were some long straight-aways.

Anyway, that's just been my observation. So I wouldn't be too disheartened by the dyno results, especially if your "butt dyno" told you that the bike was faster and more responsive. It probably was, and your impression of your bike is all that matters after all. :)

BTW, I was pretty disappointed in those performance numbers that were posted in the CW Scura test... I wonder why they were so low? I expect close to 80HP at the rear-wheel, even stock. The torque figures seems about 10ft/lbs low too. ...who knows. :huh:

I'm hoping that with some quality aftermarket pipes, good tuning, and maybe some head port tuning/flow-benching later this year, I can get closer to 90+ HP at the rear-wheel. Who knows though...

al

Ya'll might find this interesting:

> [Original Message]

> From: Jack Price

> To:

> Cc:

> Date: 07/01/2002 5:29:31 PM

> Subject: (MGCL) PC III and Stucchi Crossover

>

> Just FYI -

>

> I just got my PC III installed and switched back to the stock

crossover as

> was recommended by a guy who had just done some dyno runs on a V11

Sport.

> Compared to the stock ECU with the Stucchi crossover, the bike

actually

ran

> worse, as the hole in the powerband between 4-5k rpm seemed even

worse

than

> before, and the pinging was the worst ever. I have had this pinging

issue

> since the bike was new in August. I understand that this is different

> behavior than making the same changes on a V11 Sport.

>

> But...

>

> This morning I put the Stucchi crossover back on with the PC III, and

the

> difference was startling. I had to lower the idle setting a little

because

> it immediately idled about 300 rpm higher. There was a very noticable

> increse in response at low to mid rpm's, and THE PINGING IS GONE!! I

even

> tried the worst case scenario this morning on the way to work to make

it

> ping (over half throttle uphill in 6th at about 4500 rpm) and it just

would

> not. The associated power loss in the ping band was replaced with a

big

> surge of power I had never experienced on this bike since new.

>

> This is with Mistral cans, Stucchi crossover, and the base map.

>

> I cannot wait to get a full re-map done by one of those DynoJet guys

with

a

> dyno.

>

> Ride well. Ride safe.

> -Jack Price

> Glendale, CA

> 02 V11 Le Mans