Le Mans - Muffler

Guest Oliver

Guest Oliver

Hi there,

while I visited my dealer last weekend, I noticed a new (3000 Km) V11 Le Mans with "pink" mufflers. The formerly black mufflers turned their color to a sort of "light-pink".

- Is this typical ?

- What does this color change cause (heat, cleaning agents) ?

- any experience on this or tips for prevention ?

Greetings from Hamburg, Germany

Guest Jaap

I had the same with the original black mufflers, although it wasn't light-pink but Deep Purple B)

I don't think that it can be helped. I think it is caused by heat and not by cleaning agents because I wash my bike with rain water only on the painted parts. (it doesn't leave white stains behind and you don't have to dry it with a cloth... again, a nice free household tip from Jaap :P )

However, with my carbon ovals the problem has solved itself.

"Yeah... I'm a Speed King... See me fly..."

...yep, sorry to say that the stock cans do change color with time to a purplish hue. But I knew that before I bought the bike, and my dealer "warned" me about it as well.

It's just a function of the heat, sunlight, and anodized black finish. I think that because it is brushed/satin, the combination of increased surface area, and off-angle reflection from the sunlight tend to mute the black, and accenuate the faded color.... that's my theory anyway :rolleyes:

BTW Jaap, did the installation of your aftermarket pipe "de-accentuate" the very obvious uneven placement of the stock exhausts when viewed from the rear? If you look at a stock 2002, you will note that the right muffler is a good inch or so further out from the bike to clear the bevel-box, with the passenger peg mount angled out a few degrees further than the left one, and the bracket on the right muffler also modified to kick it out a bit.

I was thinking that with the aftermarket cans probably having the same brackets for each side, that this would become less pronounced.

....or is my bike the only one with uneven exhausts?! :P

Check out my pics of the fender eliminator from the back to see what I am talking about. Having the fender removed accentuates the effect:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/al_roethlisb...nder+Eliminator

al

Guest v11eric

yep the same, but I let make some muffelers as I like them, at they end abit heigher and both should come to the center, the right one more than the left so they look the same. This job should have been finished, but than there was that gearbox. Ill show pictures and power diagram when mounted.

rock and roll

Eric 01 V11 Lemans :ph34r:

Guest Jaap

Hi Al,

with the new cans the uneveness (is this english?) is much less. It's still there but you have to measure to see the difference. I think it's due to the other crossover which "bends" the endpipes more outward, so the tail come more inward.

Hi Eric,

"Homebrewed" mufflers! I'm anxious to see/hear them on your bike. :rolleyes: What firm is producing them?

Guest v11eric

Jaap,

The firmm that's gonna make mine exhaust Is called Maxstream Performance it's a starting company, and they do exhausts and also tuning they have recently installed a test bench for bikes and cars not finished but working they make very nice stuff working from A Hall in A town Called Gaanderen

groetjes

Eric

01 V11 Lemans