Brian Robson, daily rider

Steve G.

Hi Brian,

Wed the 29th, was that you on Fraser Hwy about 2:30 eastbound at 168th, where the old Hillcrest Drivein was? A lovely looking Lemans in red I did see.

Perhaps you could give us a heads up on things which may be showing signs of corrosion or wear. I should point out to everyone the weather here in Greater Vancouver. Road conditions, rain, 2-5 deg Celcious [35-40 F], after 3 days of salt mire on the roads to stop ice, the road is covered in a salt water/sand soup, able to test even the most hardy cadmium plated bolt.

Also, how is your Guzzi riding gear holding up?

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Brian Robson

Yep that was me.

The bike is holding up fine. The alternator cover paint has gone through its second coat of paint, but is better protected by a little aluminium fender extender I made up. I'll powder coat it in the spring.

The engine paint has remained the same as when it first blistered, and looks deep glossy black when I apply WD40 after washing. I do wash the bike if it ever gets wet each day or if there is salt on the roads. PS always with cold water as hot water activates the chlorine, which is the rust causing part of sodium chloride.

I replaced the pan bolts and the valve cover bolts with SS. I see the most rust on the swinging arm pivot bolts, but its superficial.

As for Italian electricals... I will not tempt the Veglian Gods, but they have been better than the Triumph and Japanese. Even the relays are the originals.

Everything else cosmetically is fine, and I remained impressed by the way it rides in this type of weather but the Avon tyres are the real confidence boosters with their grip.

I put the battery on a trickle charger every night.

The EBC brake pads are less impressive and are not as smooth and progressive as the Brembo OEM. Less initial grip and then they bite, which is not what I want in this weather. I won't use any others in future.

The gear is great, though I do recommend the Nikwax waterproofing kit...wash the kit in their detergent, then wash in the waterproofing solution, and let it dry. It got rid of the damp that crept through the seat of the pants and the kit is warm enough to ride with only one layer underneath.

I see few riders on the roads, but it ususally means more conversations at lights about what sort of bike it is etc.

What is most rewarding though are the days that come between the rain and the frost/ice, when the temperature gets up to 8-10C and the roads are dry. The way the bike seems to sense the conditions and feel faster and smoother and for a moment the spring is only a few days away. Someone will likely explain that it is due to the thingummy sensor and fuelling map gizmo and the barometric ratio, but I happen to choose to believe that there is a more metaphysical rationale...man and machine crapola etc

I actually feel sorry for the guys who don't ride in the winter as they miss those brief moments of joy and only feel disappointment in their riding season with the onset of slightly inclement weather. Its often the only time in the summer when I can ride ahead of other guys!

Last year in particular it poured down coming West from Keremeos in June and I waited in Hope at the Chevron (is there any rider in BC who doesn't stop at that gas station?) for 45 minutes before the group caught up. Memories are made of such moments. :race:

It is me who feels pity for car drivers as they stare during a rainstorm at what they perceive as a bedraggled miserable rider, when in fact they should be hearing me explain " I'm riding a Moto Guzzi LeMans". :mg::mg:

The way the bike seems to sense the conditions and feel faster and smoother and for a moment the spring is only a few days away. Someone will likely explain that it is due to the thingummy sensor and fuelling map gizmo and the barometric ratio, but I happen to choose to believe that there is a more metaphysical rationale...man and machine crapola etc

Brian, kudos for riding ! I agree w/ the metaphysical, don't understand why it happens, I just know it does.

Some of my riding moments that are absolutely seared into my memory are those which occured just after "suffering" through rain or darkness. I've done a couple of long hauls, 24hr 1300 miles, coast to coast in 46hrs, and will always remember the empty stretches of road as the sun's coming up.. the bike humming along, senses more or less intact, and the prospect of doing nothing but thinking and riding for another day.

Cheers to you, Tim

Guest Thundering Subash
and I remained impressed by the way it rides in this type of weather but the Avon tyres are the real confidence boosters with their grip.

So Brian, what kind of Avon tires are you running? While I'm not big on riding in the ice and snow, I would feel more comfortable doing so with better tires (especially with the Widder vest and Joe Rocket Ballistic 4.0 jacket I picked up this fall). The original Bridgestones have help up fairly well, but are due for a replacement. The back tire is getting a bit squared off and slips some, especially when it's cold out (around freezing and below), and the front tire has warped (others have mentioned this phenomenon as well). :bike:

:bier: Ride Safe

-Chris

:mg:

Guest Brian Robson

I use the AV46 on the rear with an 010 on the front....I can hear the matching tyre crowd baying, BUT, the Avon was cheap, has deep tread and appeared to have the same profile. I loved the 020 rear and would use it again, but the Avon warms up quickly and has good wet grip.

I think the tread is deep to offset the very soft rubber as on warm days (relatively 8-10C), the tread can curl if you are riding hard.

I'll take the grip though if it gets 75% of the 020's lifespan

Guest Brian Robson

Nothing like coming home and told by my Missus to disrobe outside because I'm wearing too much mud :homer:

39811[/snapback]

Bill, never, ever post that picture on this site :bier: