Introduction Thread

al_roethlisberger

Time for a proper introduction I suppose , but wanted to first say that I really enjoy the forum and that I love these bikes . I started riding back in 1971 and my first bike was a Honda SL70 . I've had too many bikes to mention and the majority of my riding has been off road hare scrambles and enduros and I'm still riding off road but not competitively anymore . The Italian road bikes caught my eye ( go figure ) in the '80s and I lusted for a Ducati 600SL but the Ducs were rare and really out of my reach . So, I began looking at BMWs but never bought one . Then, in 1992 while looking through " Bike Trader " I spotted a 1981 cx100 Lemans . So, I took a little road trip and ended up bringing that bike home . After 25 years of riding it and improving the  suspension and jetting , I still love it  . Ever since the V11 Sports were first released I've wanted one . I had never ridden one until two weeks ago and ended up bringing that bike home too . It's an '03 Sport Naked and so far I'm loving it . 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello folks,

Newbie member here saying hello. I bought the 04 V11 sport on craiglist Seattle (one the left) and she is on her way over to the east coast now. Hopefully she'll arrive this week and I can't wait to see her in the flesh. It's a bit of a lottery buying a bike 3000 miles away without having chance to see it or ride it, but the bike looked so good and all the bona fidae's checked out ok so it was worth a punt. She should arrive on Wednesday this week so I'll know for sure then. Fingers crossed.

This is my first Guzzi so stand by for lots of dumb assed questions from me over the next few week.

Great forum btw, have enjoyed reading the through all the threads the last month or so. Great technical know how in this community.

All the best

Ian

• Like 1

Hello folks,

Newbie member here saying hello. I bought the 04 V11 sport on craiglist Seattle (one the left) and she is on her way over to the east coast now. Hopefully she'll arrive this week and I can't wait to see her in the flesh. It's a bit of a lottery buying a bike 3000 miles away without having chance to see it or ride it, but the bike looked so good and all the bona fidae's checked out ok so it was worth a punt. She should arrive on Wednesday this week so I'll know for sure then. Fingers crossed.

This is my first Guzzi so stand by for lots of dumb assed questions from me over the next few week.

Great forum btw, have enjoyed reading the through all the threads the last month or so. Great technical know how in this community.

All the best

Ian

There are no dumbass questions on this forum , only dumbass answers .

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone. New member from Oakland, CA. I posted in the Rosso Mandello registry, but thought I'd do a proper intro here. 

I recently rode with forum member Woodburn, and the sound of his bike rekindled a lust I had felt for the V11—I used to go to the local shop when they were new, and just drool. After riding with him, I was talking with a friend in Colorado about Guzzis, and he mentioned his friend in Texas had just picked up another Vincent and would be selling his V11 to make room for it. Turned out to be a 2001 Rosso Mandello that he'd owned since new. 

He'd put a Tenni seat on it, which I found odd, and these black "GUZZI" valve covers, which also looked wrong to me. That put me off at first, but after talking to him, I learned he had the original seat and valve covers, along with a spare Rosso Mandello tank, all the original parts, and a variety of other stuff. The bike also have a Penske shock. I bought it, had it shipped to California from Texas, and all the extras shipped separately—several large boxes and hundreds of dollars in UPS charges, but I'm stoked to have found a bike with a complete history, in excellent condition, and so much extra stuff. 

Upon receipt, I had one of our local Guzzi experts, Lawrence of LG Moto, give it a once-over. It's a glorious machine, and those Magnis sound wonderful. 

MotoGuzzi-V11-Sport-Rosso-Mandello_Treas

• Like 6

Thanks Footgoose. I don't think those pipes will get old. :)

Like so many of these, the speedo has been replaced, so about 13k showing, 26k actual.

Great bike - obviously well cared for and lots of nice upgrades/additions. 

Indeed. My mechanic said the same thing. You ought to see the previous owner's records. He kept a spreadsheet with not only every single tiny bit of maintenance, but every ride and comments on how it ran, etc. His fastidiousness was a big part of why I picked up this particular one.