Introduction Thread

al_roethlisberger

Hi,

I'm John from New Jersey, long term rider.

The first vehicle I owned was a Honda 90, so it's clear I've been riding for a while. I've had 2 Honda 450's, drove the '69 to California, down to Mexico and back to Jersey. About 10,000 miles in a little under three weeks. In those days in the U.S., the only bikes I recall seeing windshields on were police bikes. In my case, no windshield or fairing of any kind. My idea of comfort was:

A seat I made up custom to fit my butt out of carved styrofoam covered with reupholsterer's vinyl.

"Crash bars" with wide horizontal top bars, upon which I clamped big, sheet aluminum plates with foam glued on top. I could rest the calves of my legs fully stretched out horizontal on these.

I bought big, wide "western" handle bars, bent them close together, and clamped them way back so I could reach them while lying back on my wife (yes, she did the whole trip with me).

Fiamm air horns and the tallest sissy bar I could find completed the modification package.

For weather protection, denim jacket, sweater, vinyl jacket and pants, and cowboy boots. That shows how little I knew about highway speed riding in the rain for long periods. It rained on us all the way from West Virginia to Kansas. I was soaked to the bone and practically paralyzed with cold the entire first two days. After that, it was sunshine all the way for the remaining 17 days of the trip-wonderful!

Aftermarket saddle bags didn't exist in those days. Yet, we packed full camping gear and 3 weeks worth of personal stuff for both of us on the trusty 450, using every available attachment point, including the front fender. We had absolutely zero breakdowns the whole trip. Changed oil and oiled the chain almost daily. Honda's oil change interval at the time was 500 miles, which was a little shy of our daily average.

Later on, I've owned a Honda 160, Honda XL250, '64 Harley police bike with sidecar (lot's of fun with that on many long distance trips, and the '70 Norton which I have ridden for the last 30 years.

Sold my beloved '70 Norton Commando when I feared damaging an old knee injury by kick starting it. Went the other extreme and bought a Yamaha Venture to go long distance cruising with the wife and friends. I love the bike's comfort, reliability, and power, but yearn for a short distance, fast handling, lightweight, electric start, sport or light cruiser.

I have a couple of technical degrees with a fair amount of experience with mechanical equipment, including having rebuilt my previous bikes myself.

I've been fascinated by Moto Guzzi's unique designs ever since I saw the Spanish carabinieri majestically riding them in 1969. I've settled on buying a used or new Moto Guzzi, but need help deciding which year and model. I would really appreciate the following information:

From 2000 to 2005, which models and years have:

Carburettors vs. EFI

Solid lifters vs. hydraulic

Hydraulic vs. cable actuated clutch

Quiet mufflers that meet the 85 DB noise standard vs. traditional

What does the PCIII consist of?

Any other important distinguishing characteristics.

I realize I probably could find the answers somewhere in the forum, but it is so vast, it would take me too long. I want to make decisions soon.

Thanks much.

John

• 2 weeks later...
Guest italshaft

Happy New Year!

Mine is starting off on a great note. My wife totally surprised me with a '04 Ballabio for Christmas. I'm new to the group but not new to the world of Guzzi. This will be my third Goose. I've had a CX100 and a '00 Jackal in the past. Other Italian bikes that have graced my garage have been a few Ducks-bevel drive 900SS, Pantah and a '93 750SS. I've also owned a "99 Laverda 750S and a Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport. As you can see I cannot be trusted around Italian iron..

I live in Monrovia, CA and have been riding the Crest since I was a teenager. I love to ride 33, Cerro Nordeste, Calente/Bodfish, etc. I have a place in Mammoth and often ride up there to enjoy Tioga Pass and other great roads in the Eastern Sierra.

Hi John, welcome to the forum! Good choice on bike. Older and wiser :)

WRT to your questions:

All bikes/all years have EFI, solid lifters and hydraulic clutches.

There is a model breakdown by JRT somewhere in the FAQ section.

70879[/snapback]

As a result of all the helpful info. research, and suggestions, I put a deposit down on an '04 Cafe Sport today, my last significant act for 2005! I'm looking forward to lots of enjoyment out of this impressive piece of technology, and hopefully meeting up with some of my fellow afficianados.

Happy New Year!

John

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

I recently sold my FZ1 and ST1100 and I'm extremely interested in the Guzzi Le Mans. Just came back from a dealer in town and sat on one for the first time. Fits me like a glove...

Would like to hear what your thoughts are on this bike...what do you love about it and what should I be aware of. Also, would like to the availablity of bags (hard or soft), touring windscreens and bars.

I'm a "mature" (wife may argue that) rider that has owned numerous bikes and have track experience as well.

TIA,

Rob

Hello Everyone,

I recently sold my FZ1 and ST1100 and I'm extremely interested in the Guzzi Le Mans. Just came back from a dealer in town and sat on one for the first time. Fits me like a glove...

Would like to hear what your thoughts are on this bike...what do you love about it and what should I be aware of. Also, would like to the availablity of bags (hard or soft), touring windscreens and bars.

I'm a "mature" (wife may argue that) rider that has owned numerous bikes and have track experience as well.

TIA,

Rob

77677[/snapback]

Welcome to the forum Rob!

Ok, most of us will be biased but we do love our V11s. I find my Le Mans very comfy for long distances and you can get both soft (Tekno) and hard (Hepco und Becker) panniers. Some people have difficulty sourcing the Teknos but I belive you can still buy them new. Others have adapted Givis to fit.

There are a couple of different luggage racks available, and Guzzi make a nice tankbag with straps (plastic tank so no magnetic bags).

Taller screens are available from MRA.

If you like track days you will find that V11s are not the fastest things out there and run out of revs quickly, but you can still have a lot of fun. Power is fine for normal road riding but that does not stop some of us throwing shedloads of cash at them just to eek out a few extra ponies.

If you like to get your hands oily most normal maintenance jobs are pretty simple.

They do have the odd gripe- mainly minor things like crap relays, and if you look at some of the posts here, you could be forgiven for thinking that each V11 is going to blow up or fall to bits any minute now because only doom and gloom tends to get reported. If you do have any issues you need help with, this forum is an excellent source of information and someone else will have had the same problem and found a fix.

In summary, a bike with lots of character, fun to ride, stands out from the crowd but needs a little love now and then.

Buy one

Guy :helmet:

I love my LeMans... I swear (so do my buddies) I go faster more often

on it than on my Duc 900ss. These things REALLY take 100mph in stride.

An incredible calm, confident feel at speed....and the delicious torque makes

it a joy at any speed.

I owned a fleet of real fast inline 4s and there's just NO comparison.

The Guzzi is Wayyyy more fun.

The little glitchy gremlins are just that. It's part of the right of passage.

Have a look around this incredible forum and you'll head 'em all off at the pass.

Relays, grounding, shift spring ($5.00 and easy job) Tank suck vapor lock (move hoses)

clutch switch (purple wire under tank) Kickstand switch.. couple other goofy charecter things.

After that your clear for 200,000 miles of care free stump pulling.

....I go faster more often

on it than on my Duc 900ss. These things REALLY take 100mph in stride.

An incredible calm, confident feel at speed.........

yeah - it's the stopping you wanna watch out for...!!!

KB :sun:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest geno929

post-2386-1141419538_thumb.jpgHello, as you might guess from my screename, I do and have ridden the Honda 929 or Firebird for a long time. Yesterday I purchased my first Moto Guzzi. A 2000 V11 Sport in beautiful silver. Brand new, still in the crate. Got a good deal on it and took it out for it's maiden voyage today.

Very easy to drive!!! Torque everywhere and a top end rush that reminds me of the RC51. Sweet sounds and very stable handeling. At least at the speeds that I'm allowing myself at the moment. Good brakes Too.

Very satisfied with my bike. Not gonna hang with the GSXR/ZX10/CBR crowd, never did anyway. If your ever in Missouri and want to ride some of the best roads in the US, e-mail me. Geno929.

Hi Geno

Welcome to the fold.

Wait till you get on those roads and get

that Guzzi in it's natual grove...swooping, deft, wondeful feel and power.

Top end speed and frantic wanking become passe...

Your gonna really dig it

• 4 weeks later...
Guest cduzzi

My name is Chuck Durant and I really like what I've seen thus far on this forum. I'm not big on these things but this one really rocks! Thanks to all who make it successful and incredibly interesting.

I'm in my mid-50's and only about 25,000 miles of MC experience. Never owned a bike until after kids were out of college and I bought a used K 75 S until I layed eyes on a Jackal. Only saw it in a picture and having never even seen a Guzzi (that I remember) I test rode my '04 Cali and eventually gave into it's charms and bought it. Like another Guzzi owner said, 'Guzzi isn't a fast bike, but you can ride 'em fast!' I really like the torque coming out of a corner. And the fact that they are a curiousity in the MC world.

I'll proably always have my Cali (unless I later decide to trade it in on a 1200 Norge. (I feel like a traitor to her just saying that! :huh2: ) But I am getting the itch for a Lemans or maybe a Centauro. And I'd like opinions on the merits of each. I've not ridden either and am drawn to the Centauro simply because of the OC engine and it's rarity. But everytime I look at the newer Lemans, I think maybe that's the way I should go.

My main interest in motorcycling is long distance riding so the Cali fits that role pretty well except for uncomfortable seat and smallish tank capacity. I gave the bike a pretty good work out first year I had it with a long ride from Texas to Ohio for the AMA Vintage Bike Days rally. If you've never been to one of those July events at Mid-Ohio Race Course, I would encourage you to do so. I did an article on that ride in last year issue of MGNOC newsletter.

Personal stuff: married for nearly 34 yrs to same wonderful woman :stupid: She's the one holding the sign, by the way. Two semi-adult children and one goofy Dalmation. Hospital administrator for my living. I catch some crap about this hobby/addiction of mine, but never had a goal of dying safely of old age! Other interests include international travel and since my wife is an artist, we expect to go to Italy sometime, and while she's painting in Tuscany, I"m going to be motorcycling and visiting Mandello del Lario!

My tag line is - 'There's not a logical reason for owning a Moto Guzzi, but I'm looking for my next one now!'

Hope to see you on a ride soon in beautiful Texas Hill Country! :mg: cduzzi

• 2 months later...
Guest GUZZI@50

Jaap just thought i would let you know that i am also registerd as boggycox so when you clean up this site you can get rid of that one. I've been of line for a while so that's why i reregisterd now live in Rugby U.K not Adelaide South Australia and i've still got the 2001 V11 Sport.GUZZI@50