Chech Those Bolts!

Guest John O'Sullivan

Guest John O'Sullivan

I came home from a short ride last night and was generally checking my bike when I discovered a missing front engine mounting bolt.

It must have been loose and vibrated out, when, I don't know.

These bolts are big 10mm hexagonal head, I was able to replace this morning with a trip to my car mechanic.

I had not checked the big bolts for tightness as I assumed they were torqued.

:blink:

Jaap,

You may not believe this but the same bolt has gone missing again after a 100km ride.

This trellis type frame member must get a lot of vibration as the older V 11 sports were known to break aluminium brackets holding the oil cooler, these have now been replaced by steel brackets.

I will be applying locktite with the new bolt tomorrow!

Maybe it's the bolt thats faulty :P

....I use loc-tite on everything, even back when I had my FJ. I just pick and choose which "flavor". Medium blue works well for me so far, just enough grab to keep fasteners from walking away, but not too sticky to keep me from extracting them B)

I just reassembled my fairing the other day, and applied just a tad of loc-tite to every acorn-nut... but of course not the nylon lock-nuts!

With all this shakin' going on, you just can't be careful. I've lost too many bolts in the middle of nowhere <_>

..and if loc-tite is nowhere to be found, clear nailpolish is a great stop-gap. Just use it judiciously!

al