Anyone had this throttle problem?

DeBenGuzzi

SOOOO I'm giving my bike the once over and I goto start it I turn the throttle once let it close then again and I hear a *tink* noise the throttle is stuck full choke open. I look all over and can not figure out what would be wrong or stuck. I panic as any red blooded american does and call everyone I know

Freind of mine is an Audi Mechanic I strike gold he says all the older audi's have a very similar setup for cable throttle boddies he'll take a looksie. Anywho we give a go over

The TB's will open and close if you push on the linkage but it is very difficult.

So we begin to disassemble (I'm worried but the dealership was closed so they're no help and I couldn't get online and would have been too slow to ease my mind) He pulls off the limkage bar that syncs them together and says "are you holding it so I can't move it on that side" I say I'm not touching anything

SO turns out the linkage bar FROZE up tighter than a roman Nun took it off greased it up and the throttle snapped back into place. Almost lost the C ring too, Only lost a night of riding and I thought it would cost me 2 arms and half a leg to fix up. Moral of the story: sometimes the littlist things are the easiest to fix. :huh2:

Now I stick it to full throttle on purpose :bike:

I had a sticky throttle problem after I rode my bike to a dealership in the rain and then it sat at the dealership for a couple of weeks. After I got the bike serviced it seemed okay at first, but one day it started sticking. It was hanging between shifts, wouldn't return to idle at lights, etc. I thought that the TPS was crapping out or something. At one point I was coming down a real serpentine hill with nasty tar strips all over the road and the throttle was stuck way open! I clamped hard on the binders and damned near soiled my undergarments that day. Later on a liberal application of WD40 had it back to normal. The throttle shaft on the left hand TB had gotten really sticky. I guess the ride in the rain and extended period of sitting afterwards was the culprit.

Guest ratchethack
SO turns out the linkage bar FROZE up

Ben, are you referring to the pin on the left-hand side of the linkage bar at the TB arm on the butterfly shaft where the white adjustment knob is? :huh2:

I have experienced this also. Sticky springs and connections on the TB linkage. I used liberal amounts of carb cleaner around the butterflys, and external linkage. Then lubed it with my bicycle "Pro Lube", which works very well. These seem to gunk up fairly quickly. At least it is a simple and quick fix.

What I can't believe, is that you guys don't lubricate your bit and pieces as a matter of course.

Cor...Americans!

I use white lithium on the movin parts and then just slather everything else with chain lube they both are marvelous lubricants WD40 doesn't seem to last very long. To answer an earlier question the Pin side froze up but it happened so fast and without warning I was just in shock. :o

Guest ratchethack
is that quantity, or height?

61434[/snapback]

ACK! Well, I sure served that one up for you on a silver platter, didn't I? Think of it as a gift... :lol::whistle:

Thanks, Ben.  That does it, I'm gettin' out the ointment for one of those "lower requirement" applications... :moon:  :o

61443[/snapback]

Invite JR around – have a party