Fairing Squeaks

Guest JohnInNH

Guest JohnInNH

Now at 800 miles my fairing squeaks so bad it sounds like a 1965 Ford Pick up truck!

Every tiny bump in the road causes my fairing to squeak. It's gotten worse daily, and now is HORRIBLE! Before it was just on a big bump, and was livable, but now it's embarrassing! Heads turn, and not because it's a "beauty" but because they hear the squeak mobile coming.

I have yet to locate the offensive source. Has anyone here found a spot which they have fixed. Some pointers would help.

It is not the flat black piece under the gauges. It sounds/feels more like it's deep from within behind the headlight/frame area.

At this point I'm ready to bite the bullet and disassemble the entire fairing.

Any pointers HELP with this project. I am really NOT looking forward to doing this. I too have over torqued stripped bolts which mount the fairing.

;) A dab of bearing grease will fix it, JUST WHERE? :unsure:

...darn, I was going to say "hey, it's probably that black flat piece behind the gauges" :rolleyes: ...seriously. That's where mine was when I found my one squeak. The right fairing(sitting on the bike) was installed incorrectly under the subframe, and in combination, this somehow made that panel behind the guages squeak.

But I've pretty much had my fairing complete off, and checked all my nuts/bolts for thread-lock and over-tightening after the factory cracked my fairing by being ham-fisted with the wrench :unsure:

Sorry to say, but it could be anywhere. I'd check the headlight as it does move, and perhaps the rubber gasket isn't seated well against the fairing??

You'll probably just have to get a friend to bounce the bike and get down there with your ear :blink: ....every bike is different. It took me about a month to track down one particularly annoying rattle on my FJ, right at, and only at... 4k RPM.

al

Guest Jaap

Squeaky fairing? That's a new one. And a rather annoying one. I just checked the bolts/nuts on my bike and fastened everything. (Big 4 day trip next weekend) Could it be a cable/brake line that touches it? Because the fairing is quite sturdy and mounted on enough places not to move.

Good luck finding the problem and let us know!