Moto Guzzi for me?

Guest birdmove

Guest birdmove

I'm buying a new street bike soon and I am certainly considering a new Moto Guzzi.I have never owned or ridden one yet, but have read about them for the 42 years I have been a rider.I've owned many motorcycles over the years-all street legal, but many were dual sports.In fact, I have a 2004 Kawasaki KLR650 right now that I will probably keep.

I have the good fortune to have a great dealer with 50-60 miles of my home-Moto International in Seattle, Wa. USA.I in fact went there yesterday to look at the Guzzis. I was hoping to tets ride a couple, but the pacific NW is having a major rain problem, and I wouldn,t ask a dearler to let me test ride a shiny new motorcycle when it would get so dirty and need a wash afterwaards.

They are having some nice prices on leftover models right now.I wanted to see the 750 Breva and the Ballabio.I also looked at the V11 Sport and 2004 Cafe' Sport.I am probably leaning toward the Ballabio or V11 Sport, though I'm not entireley sure what the differences are.I like the fairing on the Ballabio very much and found that bike very comfortable.A customer mentioned that the Cafe Sport, although about $1700.00 US more than the Ballabio, came with some carbon fiber and much better suspension.

My real questions would be, first, how would these bikes be as far as passenger comfort?What could one exspect for gas mileage in mpg? I'm sorry to hear that MG is discontinuing these V11 models, as I find them to be beautiful machines. I'm wanting a bike for general riding, but also to take a few trips on each year, mostly with a passenger.

Thank you, and I am looking forward to test riding these motorcycles.

Jon Neet

Puyallup, Wa. USA

I'm buying a new street bike soon and I am certainly considering a new Moto Guzzi.I have never owned or ridden one yet, but have read about them for the 42 years I have been a rider.I've owned many motorcycles over the years-all street legal, but many were dual sports.In fact, I have a 2004 Kawasaki KLR650 right now that I will probably keep.

I have the good fortune to have a great dealer with 50-60 miles of my home-Moto International in Seattle, Wa. USA.I in fact went there yesterday to look at the Guzzis. I was hoping to tets ride a couple, but the pacific NW is having a major rain problem, and I wouldn,t ask a dearler to let me test ride a shiny new motorcycle when it would get so dirty and need a wash afterwaards.

They are having some nice prices on leftover models right now.I wanted to see the 750 Breva and the Ballabio.I also looked at the V11 Sport and 2004 Cafe' Sport.I am probably leaning toward the Ballabio or V11 Sport, though I'm not entireley sure what the differences are.I like the fairing on the Ballabio very much and found that bike very comfortable.A customer mentioned that the Cafe Sport, although about $1700.00 US more than the Ballabio, came with some carbon fiber and much better suspension.

My real questions would be, first, how would these bikes be as far as passenger comfort?What could one exspect for gas mileage in mpg? I'm sorry to hear that MG is discontinuing these V11 models, as I find them to be beautiful machines. I'm wanting a bike for general riding, but also to take a few trips on each year, mostly with a passenger.

Jon Neet

Puyallup, Wa. USA

75401[/snapback]

Not really the best seat for a passenger. The problem is the very high footpegs in relation to the seat, which is kind of small. The rider definitely gets the best deal seating wise.

Ciao, Steve G.

Jon, my Sport steadfastly turns in 39mpg...I can affect it by riding brutally, but not to the plus. If your passenger is someone with an opinion you value...you may wish to have 'em perch on the pad for a few moments before purchase. If you have the cash for and option of the "better" suspension...go for it as indications in the forum are that you will be glad you did...however, I have what I believe is pretty much standard issue susupension and it has met my needs. Enjoy your purchase...was put off by rain today myself. k

Not really the best seat for a passenger. The problem is the very high footpegs in relation to the seat, which is kind of small. The rider definitely gets the best deal seating wise.

Ciao, Steve G.

75404[/snapback]

Concur.. Seat is comfy enough but the Mrs. might not appriciate the leg position especially when compared with the dual sport :huh2:

Hi Jon,

My :2c: The passenger comfort will be about the same across the entire line of V11 Sport/Ballabio/Cafe/Le Mans serie. And some anecdotal information- my wife was comfortable for about 3 hours on the pillion of my V11 sport. She has long legs. A reworked seat (a la Rich Maund) might improve the situation a little, or you might be able to move the passenger footpegs, but neither of those possibilities have been looked at much on this forum.

Best thing to do is wait'll the rain lets up and take the lovely lady for a ride. See what she thinks.

As far as gas mileage goes- 39 is seen by some, and I've heard as low as 25 mpg. Depends on a number of factors, but that's about the range. I get 35ish depending on how I drive and I think that is fairly typical.

Don't get rid of the KLR- they're fun, albeit heavy, bikes :race:

Jon Neet

Puyallup, Wa. USA

75401[/snapback]

Jon,

Passenger comfort? As with most questions, the answer is, "it depends." :huh2:

I have a 98 EV (a tonti-frame "cruiser," but you can't use the "C" word around some Guzzisti!) with 68K miles and an 04 Ballabio with 18K. Love 'em both.

Think passenger comfort depends on the passenger. I find the Ballabio as comfortable on long hauls (multi-day trips, etc.) as the EV. Kathi does not. Actually, I think she's a bit scared of what she sees as a precarious perch! She is a slip of thing, 5'4", 110-ish (tho if she knew I posted this, I'd be a dead man :D ), and I doubt if a larger woman would be happy. I also find two-up on the Ballabio less fun for me, but that may just be me.

Gas mileage. Yeah, it depends (again). My experience is almost always in the 35-40 range, with 38 being, I suppose, the mode. I do ride more for fun than mileage, so I might do better if I tried. I don't want to. :race:

Suspension? "ID." I found the stock OK, but now have an Ohlins rear and the difference is very noticeable. Depends on how you ride. I need all the help I can get.

I'll be in Seattle next Fri-Sun. If you want to have lunch and get the good, bad, and ugly, glad to talk. The M-I deals are stunning and, actually, mildly annoying. :o:bike:

Call if you don't get your questions answered here.

Bill

Guest whidbeyrider

Well one thing you would have going for you if you buy a Moto Guzzi is that you will have the great support of Moto International. I live north of Seattle and Moto International figured prominately in my decision to buy a Guzzi, great guys, great mechanics, and voted best motorcycle shop in Western Washington several years in a row. Dave the owner literally wrote the book on Guzzi's ( Guzziology), and he buys inventory from all over the country, which he sells out of his shop at a great price. I have owned BMW's, a Yamaha FZ1, and a KTM 400 dualsport. My Guzzi is the most fun bike I have ever owned. It puts a smile on your face, and is such a great looking bike. The V11 is great for the mountain roads here in Washington, going over the North Cascade highway is a blast. One thing I would add to a new or used V11 is some Mistral pipes, when you open the throttle they really sound great. :mg:

The V11 is a great, great solo bike-maybe the most fun I've had on two wheels. As for passengers, they should be 4' 10"" tall, have a well padded posterior, and be slightly inebriated. :D:D

After a grueling 300 mile trip with my wife on the back of the Rosso Corsa (she had the addition of a gel pad and sheepskin cover) I solved the passenger comfort problem by getting a BMW R1150RT (and kept the Corsa, of course!). Mom can't believe the difference. Then again, we're in our 60's so comfort on a motorcycle has taken on a different meaning.

There have been some other threads on this site regarding two-up on a V11. The general tone of the responses seemed to be that they are not good two-up touring bikes. :o

The V11 is a great, great solo bike-maybe the most fun I've had on two wheels. As for passengers, they should be 4' 10"" tall, have a well padded posterior, and be slightly inebriated.  :D  :D

After a grueling 300 mile trip with my wife on the back of the Rosso Corsa (she had the addition of a gel pad and sheepskin cover) I solved the passenger comfort problem by getting a BMW R1150RT (and kept the Corsa, of course!). Mom can't believe the difference. Then again, we're in our 60's so comfort on a motorcycle has taken on a different meaning.

There have been some other threads on this site regarding two-up on a V11. The general tone of the responses seemed to be that they are not good two-up touring bikes. :o

75677[/snapback]

My rather tall son spent a lot of time on the back of my V11 last summer holiday. My wife took the girls in the car. Apparently sitting on the back of the V11 for 3 hours is less painful than listening to four women gossiping. So there you have it, the V11 is comfy, even for 6 foot pillions with size 13 feet.