MGS-01 with lights

QuatroValvole

OK, finally got around to getting some pictures up here.

DSCN368220.jpg

Piaa driving lights and dinky winkers

DSCN368620.jpg

Lots brighter in use than they look here

DSCN368820.jpg

DSCN368320.jpg

My idea was to keep this simple, easy to remove, and make no permanent mods to the bike. The tail lights operate as brake and turnsignals also. These are KuryAkyn lights with their run/brake/turn controler. I can also connect a center light for just tail/brake, but haven't really found anything appropriate yet. People I've ridden with tell me that the rear lights are very visible. The head lights are real bright blue at night, they put out more light than a traditional headlight but, being driving lights, are very directional.

After removing the bodywork, I can have the lights and plate bracket off the bike in about 15 minutes for track days. Another 10 minutes to take the main light wiring harness off and you would never know it was there. The driving lights probably restrict some airflow through the oil cooler, but you have to ride pretty hard to keep the oil temp up, so no problem on the street. Wiring is totaly isolated from the rest of the electrical system. At low engine speeds the alternator won't keep up, so I leave the headlights off if the bike has to run below about 3000 rpms for very long. At normal speeds charging is not a problem.

I'll probably play around with this setup as improvements occur to me, a center light for the rear, and maybe revise the wiring to use just one driving light for 'low beam', but not much otherwise, I think.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My idea was to keep this simple, easy to remove, and make no permanent mods to the bike. The tail lights operate as brake and turnsignals also. These are KuryAkyn lights with their run/brake/turn controler. I can also connect a center light for just tail/brake, but haven't really found anything appropriate yet. People I've ridden with tell me that the rear lights are very visible. The head lights are real bright blue at night, they put out more light than a traditional headlight but, being driving lights, are very directional.

Very nice! :notworthy:

I too wonder how you got it licensed? DMV kit exception? Just borrowing a plate from the Daytona?

Used same approach to switch my Aprilia between street and track. Changing out body work just too much trouble. Not nearly as clean as yours, however - but I didn't have that nice opening up front to work with. 'Course - the fact you thought to use it is inspired. :bier:

Do tell if it's street legal, or just looks street legal. Inquiring (calculating) minds want to know. :bike:

Pierre

What I don't get, California is the state with most stringent rules to get a plate? How did you manage that?

80508[/snapback]

THATS what I Was saying :notworthy:

I'm SO F'n jealous right now. Thats the best bike guzzi has produced in years, intended for racing and you have it on the streets. :wub:

I don't really want to reveal any indiscretions I may, or may not, have commited to get this done. The plate belongs to this bike, and it's titled with the original engine and frame numbers. There are a couple of loopholes in the DMV regs. Just to be safe, I'm on my best behavior when riding it on the street.

Where in Nor Cal are you ? I would love to come see the bike and listen to it on the road. I will be riding home from LA to SF on the 8th or so. A trip up the Coast would be fun. The weather has been stunning other than the downpour yesterday.

That's a baaaaaaaaaaad looking bike! :notworthy:

Great job, mate

Cheers

Søren

Guest jedione68
I don't really want to reveal any indiscretions I may, or may not, have commited to get this done. The plate belongs to this bike, and it's titled with the original engine and frame numbers. There are a couple of loopholes in the DMV regs. Just to be safe, I'm on my best behavior when riding it on the street.

80524[/snapback]

LOVE IT!!!

That took some serious thinking and "BALLS"

Good job man. Ya make'n us proud.

I know your keeping it on the DOWN LOW, but...

I have a Ghezzi B 1225cc 4valve race bike that I'd like to slowly convert to

the street (in Cali of course!). So if ya could hit me with an email

on the side about, hmm... How ya pulled that off?

I was just going to run her with my v11 plates and pray, BUT???

Hit me with an email.

Again, great job my brother!

Jedi---OUT

P.S. Managed to pull off 137 miles tonight in the Malibu canyons,

my way of beating the weekend rain... NICE. Gotta love

those after market super BULBS!!!

Do you have any information on the supplier(s) of the lights?

81119[/snapback]

MORE importantly doesn't that hole actually have a purpose???? How did he re-engineer it, or did he not care he just wanted it on the road? I love that bike I wish I had the money and the know-how or enough money to not need to know how. :P: