Oil Filter

Guest Scura Owner

Guest Scura Owner

What size oil filter do you have in your V11? During my initial oil change, I found to my and my dealer's suprise the "large" or "deep" oil filter rather than the "small" oil filter normally associated with the V11 Sports. I replaced it with another "large" filter. Is this what is normally found in 2002's?

Guest Scura Owner

Sorry I do not any pictures. My only remaining sample of the filter is installed in the bike.

The two different ("small" and "large") oil filters have the same base dimensions. They only differ in height. The "large" filter has a longer length (about 4 inches) than diameter of the base. With the "small" filter, the length (about 3 inches) and diameter of the base are approximately the same. My concern with the whole issue is to see if the wrong filter was original installed on my bike (a quality control issue). Either filter should work fine but...

Guest tmartin

A Fram PH3614 will fit but construction is questioable. Go to WallMart and get the SuperTech ST3614 for around $2 (vs $15 for the Guzzi filter). This filter is made by Champion labs, is better constructed than a Fram, and has a 94% multiple pass efficiency rating. Just be sure to remove the decal on the filter before you install it. I have been using them for 2 years with no problems on my V11S (has 14k miles on the clock).

• 3 months later...

Fram customer service emailed me that the proper Fram part number for an oil filter for a Guzzi V11 Sport is PH6022. They also have a chrome version, part number PH6065A. The UFI Filter my dealer sold me is part number 2328700 and is approximately 3 1/2" tall. It cross references to Guzzi Part number 30.15.30.00and says on the box "California 1100 IE and 1100 Sport". Hope this helps!

I thought the longer filter was standard on all big block Guzzi's since 1994?

It is not just the length that is different. The size of the fitting it screws to is different as well, so they cannot be interchanged. The larger filter has a fitting with approx. 2mm larger OD.

Mine came with the large filter. Isn't that one reason they are supposed to go 6K miles between oil changes now too?