Tire advice sought

Tom M

My rear tire is shot, front still looks very good. Both are BT020. If Pirelli still had the 2 for 1 deal on the Stradas I'd buy a set but the Corsa deal that they are now offering doesn't interest me because I want a higher mileage tire. I read some of the other tire threads here and the Metz Z6 sounds like it would work well for me. I'm cheap so I'd rather not swap the front tire out at this time even though I'm not real thrilled with it.

So...does anyone here think that a Z6 on the back and a BT020 on the front is a bad idea? I will be going with a 170 instead of the 180 as suggested here too.

Thanks,

Tom

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My rear tire is shot, front still looks very good. Both are BT020. If Pirelli still had the 2 for 1 deal on the Stradas I'd buy a set but the Corsa deal that they are now offering doesn't interest me because I want a higher mileage tire. I read some of the other tire threads here and the Metz Z6 sounds like it would work well for me. I'm cheap so I'd rather not swap the front tire out at this time even though I'm not real thrilled with it.

So...does anyone here think that a Z6 on the back and a BT020 on the front is a bad idea? I will be going with a 170 instead of the 180 as suggested here too.

Thanks,

Tom

Hey Tom,

I have the Stradas on my Lemans and the Z6s on my RT. Both are excellent tires, far better than the OE Bridgestones in my opinion. They both claim long life and excellent wet performance, and are made by the same parent company. While I only have 1500 - 2000 miles on each set and can't vouch for longevity, the wet & dry grip is terrific on both. I don't make a habit of mixing tires. Unless I had a relatively new tire that was ruined, I'd always replace both at the same time.

:2c:

Thanks,

Tom

I got the diablo stradas with the last promotional deal from pirelli. I went with the 170 on the back. At first I was a little dissapointed. These tires turn in quicker than the bridgestones. Because they turn in quicker and because I went with the 170 on the back I thought they were too quick. Once I found the right tire pressure (32PSI front/36 PSI back) I am fairly happy with my choice. However, I do wonder what the strada 180 would feel like. If I were you I would take advantage of the current pirelli 2 fer 1 deal and replace both at this time. I too, cheaped out and ended up going through a few sets of the bt020s because I don't like mismatching tires. The back always wore out first but the front is never far behind.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Dan, are you running a 170 or a 180 on the rear? If 170, how do you like it? BTW, great avatar!

Rocketman, the current Pirelli free front tire deal is for a track day tire that I believe would wear out too quickly. Even if they are a great deal I don't want to burn through another set of tires before winter. I'm not a real aggressive rider and I don't do track days so I think a sport touring type tire would be more appropriate for me. I wish I had caught that 2 for 1 deal on the Stradas :(

Dan, are you running a 170 or a 180 on the rear? If 170, how do you like it? BTW, great avatar!

Rocketman, the current Pirelli free front tire deal is for a track day tire that I believe would wear out too quickly. Even if they are a great deal I don't want to burn through another set of tires before winter. I'm not a real aggressive rider and I don't do track days so I think a sport touring type tire would be more appropriate for me. I wish I had caught that 2 for 1 deal on the Stradas :(

Tom, the way I read the promo info is that the diablo corsa 111 rear tire is a dual compound street tire. Sticky wubba on the sides and longer lasting wubba in the center. "Street tires with racetrack performance". I would guess you are going to get at least 6K (or hopefully more) out of the back and that's all one could ever get out of the bt020's. Because these tires naturally turn in faster I would stick with the 180 rear. Besides, they don't offer it in a 170. For what it's worth :P

I stuck with the 180 size. I've always thought the steering on the LeMans was a tad slow & heavy so I wish I'd gone for the 170. It feels better than the bridgestones but I set up my suspension around the same time so some of that improved feel is due to the suspension.

I was all set to buy Z6s for it, but was considering Pirellis for the silly reason as to have Italian tires on my Italian bike. Still leaning toward the Metzelers, the 2 for 1 deal came out & I jumped on the Pirellis.

Not dissapointed at all.

Thanks,

Tom

A bad idea is to mix different brands of tires especially when worn.

You have to get rid of the BT 20's especialy the front.

Compared to grip with the Z6,(the BT 20) is just a piece of wood(IMO and as well as other testers opinions)

Milliage compared, I don't know cause my Z6's are new but I estimate they could be a bit less than the BT's (10- 15% )

Remember you are on 2 wheels only , better safe than sorry.. ;)

A bad idea is to mix different brands of tires especially when worn.

You have to get rid of the BT 20's especialy the front.

Compared to grip with the Z6 is just a piece of wood(IMO and as well as other testers opinions)

Milliage compared, I don't know cause my Z6's are new but I estimate they could be a bit less than the BT's (10- 15% )

Remember you are on 2 wheels only , better safe than sorry.. ;)

Everything he said.

I got 7500 from Z4s on my RT (which weighs 100lbs+ more than the V11) and the Z6s are supposed to last longer than the Z4s.

So add that info to the calculation, subtract the weight difference of the MG, add in the torque difference, weigh the wife, and the answer is......

They should be pretty good :whistle:

Guest ratchethack

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, IMHO this all depends on what y'er planning to do with the tire once you have it on.

I b'lieve that going to a new 170 rear will provide a significant improvement in feel and handling over what y'er used to regardless of what you have on the front, as long as they're both steel radials and the front isn't too worn. The Z6 alone will IMHO be an ADDITIONAL huge improvement over the previous BT020 rear, even if not properly matched to a Z6 front.

Now if y'er pushing y'er tires to the limit on a regular basis, you'd certainly notice LESS of an improvement with a Z6 on the rear only, than if you had a Z6 on the front ALSO, but since you don't know what this is like, you'll have no frame of reference from which to be disappointed!!! -_-

I can't say enough about the matched set of Z6s I'm riding on now, but even if y'er pushing y'er bike to the limit of the tread on a regular basis, I'll bet you'll be in another league altogether with just a new 170 Z6 rear. You can then wear out the Z6 in 6-7K miles or so, and at that point y'er front will be more'n ready for retirement, and you can go for a matched set.

In summary, they're both radial tires, and I don't think they're gonna explode, catch on fire, or suddenly create spectacular tank-slappers or wash out like y'er on ice if you choose to run Bridgestone front and Metz rear.

Now I wouldn't do it, but that's just me. I push my Z6's about as hard as I think they can be pushed under some pretty demanding conditions.

But if you've tolerated BT020's for as long as you have - especially with a 180 rear, I reckon you'd do just fine upgrading the rear only, and be pretty happy with it. :thumbsup:

BAA, TJM, & YMMV.

For the nostalgic

phantomxj6.jpg

Maybe it is old news :huh2: but it looks like Pirelli brought back the legendary Phantom as a radial tire!!! :bier:

FWIW I have a Diablo Strada on the rear and am very happy with it so far. It is not the grippiest in the dry, but it is excellent in the wet...too early to tell about durability.

While I agree that not matching brands can have disastarous results, their are exceptions. I think it is safe if the front is grippier in both rain and dry.

I am using it with a Dunlop on the front and the combo works better than with the Dunlop on the rear.

However in the rain the Dunlop on the front is a complete mismatch for the Strada rear....so I must change it before the weather changes.

Compared to grip with the Z6 is just a piece of wood(IMO and as well as other testers opinions)

After my adventure with the Dunlop 218, great tyre but not resistant enough for a twin machine like ours with too much torque, I put the well appreciated Z6.

The jump has felt. The Z6 is a good tyre with grip for high speed and grip enough in the corner. I don’t understand the “grip is just as a piece of wood”. With this tyre, until now, I didn’t go not one time wide. That tell me the good grip, even if the tyre is not warm enough.

Front 120/70 rear 190/50

Worst tyre is the AVON ST45/46. Don’t buy it!!!

Guest Rocker

This is getting repetitive.............however here goes:-

1. Moto Guzzis DO NOT LIKE Metzelers.

2. It's very unwise to stick different Manufacturer's tyres (even Pirelli/Metzeler) on thes same 'bike.

At best it's a compromise.

3. Have you tried Pirelli Diablo Stradas? They give enormous mileage but slightly reduced grip - except they arestrangely VERY GOOD in the wet.

4. Never bring £sd or $ into the decision making process when it comes to tyres or lubricants.

Rockerob.

don’t understand the “grip is just as a piece of wood”. With this tyre, until now, I didn’t go not one time wide. That tell me the good grip, even if the tyre is not warm enough.

Front 120/70 rear 190/50

Worst tyre is the AVON ST45/46. Don’t buy it!!!

Well I think I didn't write it as I should , so here is what I meant,

Compared to the Z6 the BT 20 is just a piece of wood in terms of grip.

;)

This is getting repetitive.............however here goes:-

1. Moto Guzzis DO NOT LIKE Metzelers.

Rockerob.

I have to dissagree with that

Metzeler M1

In fact and my authorized Guzzi :mg::luigi: that used to race and ride Guzzis for 30 years or so,agrees that Metzeler are a notch up :thumbsup: than other tires , especially for Guzzi , track or street.

And now or then, this is obvious (see pics). Guzzi also choses the Z6 as factory default in the brevas and the racetec in th new Grisos, As well as earlier the M1 at the Cafe Sport bikes

motoguzzimetzelersuv4.jpg

There are some very good tires around for sure , but Metzelers are among the best , and IMO the best.

Thanks again guys. I ordered a 170 Z6 for the yesterday through a local independent shop who gave me a great price for the tire and mounting/balancing. He mentioned the Pirelli deal and an Avon deal but both were more track oriented tires than I was looking for. The shop owner is a long time racer so I asked him his opinion on the mismatched tire combo and he felt that I would be fine, as RH suggested. I'll throw a new Z6 on the front later this year. Here's a link to the shop for any of you MA guys out there who may need tires or gear sometime (Turo?)

http://www.bikeworx.com/

Rocketman, I went with the Z6 because the Pirelli website shows the Corsa III tire as a "70% track, 30% street" tire. They give no indication of expected mileage but it doesn't sound like a 6k+ mile tire to me. I could of course be wrong on that though.

Rocker, I saw your "Moto Guzzis DO NOT LIKE Metzelers" comment in another thread, thought you were kidding. Care to elaborate?