Scura Ohlins Handbook

Guest John O'Sullivan

Guest John O'Sullivan

Just recieved my Scura Ohlins handbook from Moto Guzzi Italy.

I emailed directly from the @ sign on the Moto Guzzi Italy homepage.

Very helpful and quick response.

Great Site,

John

:D

Guest Oliver

Hi John,

just to let you know. I received my four weeks ago. It was sent to me by mail from my local Moto Guzzi dealer.

Take care that the oil of the Öhlins fork will be changed during the first service (1500Km). It is forseen that this must be done. The problem is, that most of the dealers didn't know what kind of oil and how much ... so a lot of dealers said they did it ... but they didn't.

Look into the eyes of your dealer who made the service and ask him:

Really !?!

Greetings from Hamburg, Germany

Guest chelmryu@free.fr

Hi,

With my Scura i have receive a little manual with the Guzzi settings and how to change the setting. After i have contacted Ohlins to have the manual (it's also available in the Ohlins web site).

Michel

PS : excuse my english, is not very good

Guest Scura Owner

Could someone post the recommended Ohlins settings?

My Scura was delivered with a V11 LeMans / V11 Sport Manual. Nothing about the Ohlins. I requested information from MGNA but got nothing. Dealer got the same response. I requested the recommended setting and the recommended Fork Oil Level. I also asked what are the fork spring rates. All to no avail. (Does anyone know where to get the proper tool to remove the fork caps?)

I find the spring rates very soft. The forks do not have enough pre-load adjustment. I am max'ed out on preload and still get around 43 mm of Sag. I left the rear sag alone to match the forks. The shock spring rate is 8.5 Kg/mm but the recommended ohlins aftermarket shock shows a 9.5 kg/mm in the picture on their website. So it makes you wonder if MG went soft on purpose. I also find the range of rebound damping on the shock very limited. I have an Ohlins on a Ducati to compare the ranges.

BTW, since there have been some lack-luster reviews of the rear OEM Ohlins shock on the Scura (justified or not :rolleyes: ) ... here is Ohlins direct replacement for anyone interested:

Brand Model Year

Moto-Guzzi V11 2002

Öhlins shock absorber

Part No. Type Position Comment

MG 127 46HRCS Rear "

• Type 46PRC with hose mounted reservoir, easy to fit where it is easy to reach.

• Fully adjustable single shock absorber.

• Improved cooling gives more consistent damping and longer damper life.

• Features compression, rebound and hydraulic pre-load adjuster.

Seems quite nice, especially the remote pre-load.

They also make a steering damper in case your Bitubo unit ever fails, and the Ohlins unit is only about UDS$250-300, not tooooo bad.

Unfortunately the Ohlins rear shock is quite pricey. I was quoted USD$850... *whew*

al

Guest v11eric

Al,

Did you ever feel the need for more damping on the steering, for my feel my LM needs no steeringdamper. I'll rather screw it off than invest in a Ohlins one. Save that money and put it in the reare shock. :blink:

Al, if you have other experiances with the steering I'm very interested..

steers very loos

Eric 01 V11 Lemans

...nope, no complaints or specific observations either way regarding the steering. You? Anyone?

I've never ridden one of the 2000 Sports, so I don't know how different/stable the new bikes feel in comparison. And I haven't touched my damper setttings. But it seems fine like it is... so far :huh:

I certainly haven't had any wobble issues at speed yet, or tank-slappers... thank goodness! So I'll probably leave well-enough alone in regard to the damper settings until something makes me do otherwise.

al