V11 starter motor rebuild

dangerous

The starters are quite simple, have you pulled it apart?

Are you certain it's the starter and not the wiring?

Can you be a bit more specific with the symptoms 

It's probably a Valeo with a planetary gearbox, the magnets are known to fall off inside these. I have never tried to re-attach them but I'm sure it's possible. See how simple the electrical components are. Over here the Valeos are about $120.

They are probably used on a bunch of small cars so a visit to an auto wrecker may be in order but be careful, some rotate in the opposite direction. I think it would be just a matter of reversing the brush wires.

027ValeoStarter2_zps6469d0b7.jpg

Take a read of Note 1.  It should be wired with a direct connection from battery to fuse to start relay not through the ignition switch as is often the case with Guzzis.

To test just the starter by itself touch a hot wire onto the small terminal of the solenoid.

Make sure it's not just a bad battery connection or main ground by monitoring the Voltage at the solenoid terminal with a 12V lamp

Just in case it's an old Bosch. (these can be identified by the large Philips screws that hold the fields in place)

About the worst thing happens to these the insulation around the fields breaks down, It can easily be re-wraped with linen tape then varnished (we used to use Shelac but a product called Glyptol is even better.

028BoschStarter1_zps25ae1aec.jpg

I rebuilt mine a year or so ago.  I think this is the kit I used (not positive - double check that D6RA is the starter we have before ordering):

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/val-tkplus.htm

I read all about the magnet issues that are common to these Valeo units, but it turned out my brush springs had rusted out and were barely holding the brushes in contact with the armature.  There is a molded rubber seal on the endcap of the starter, but it didn't work so well in my case.

I do remember trying to find an automotive cross reference for this starter.  It seems like they are used on a bunch of VW's, Seats and other small cars, but none that are imported to the states.  I believe that the motor portion is not specific to our application, but the planetary drive and housing is.

Dan

The starters are quite simple, have you pulled it apart?

Are you certain it's the starter and not the wiring?

Can you be a bit more specific with the symptoms 

There is a battary issue as well... now the starter just clicks at the solanoid, if ya push start it fires up, turn it off and it will start on the starter severay times then nothing again.

When the starter is turning it is loud and rattly dry sounding.