They don't call me Mr. Bean for nothing.

Mr. Bean

Been very busy all winter and with the rather nasty weather we've had (for Seattle anyway,) didn't get too much riding in..just the odd commute now and again. I have been storing up parts for a large going over the bike and finally spent a day last weekend wrenching. Changed out the air and fuel filters, wired the headlight onto it's own circuit and relays (thanks Eastern Beaver,) dropped in one of Pete Roper's famous sloppage sheets (thanks Pete and Greg,) and generally gave the bike a good going over. :luigi:

After yet another busy week...today broke picture perfect. Time to ride! :race: Went out for a quick 150 mile ride up and into the foothills...everything was working perfectly! :mg:

Upon my return home I decided to reward the bike with a wash, but hey, "I'll let it cool down a bit while I hose off the porch and walkway." I drag the garden hose around the side of the house..."hmm, seems to be stuck on something...well I'll just pull a bit harder and...uh, oh. That didn't sound good!" Sure enough, the hose was apparently stuck on the now prone bike... :homer:

First time in it's 2 years and 14k the bike has been on anything but it's tires or a stand...oh well at least I got away cheap..only a broken brake lever and a couple small scratches. Funny thing is, I've been trying to track down a crash bar for the bike for last couple months but no-one seems to have one anymore.

So come on! Lets hear your stories...or am I the only klutz around here? :grin:

Guest Nogbad

I have a steep path down into my steel shed where I keep the Buell. I have to reverse down this steep hill into the shed, as there is no other way I could get out again.

Anyway, didnt block both shed doors, roll backwards down path and the wind swings a door over, it catches on the bike and pushes me over. Luckily I managed to let the bike down while remaining straddled over it. No damage to the bike at all (Thank GOD I put the frame pucks and axle bungs on). Bent shed doors though.

:homer:

First time in it's 2 years and 14k the bike has been on anything but it's tires or a stand...oh well at least I got away cheap..only a broken brake lever and a couple small scratches. Funny thing is, I've been trying to track down a crash bar for the bike for last couple months but no-one seems to have one anymore.

So come on! Lets hear your stories...or am I the only klutz around here? :grin:

You are not alone. :drink: I haven't dropped my V11 yet or my G5 but I did manage to do my wife's Cal III. I was moving things around in the garage, went to move her bike and lost balance on the machine. It fell away from me so I could not control the fall. Like you, there was not a lot of damage, mainly due to the fact it is a touring machine with both front and rear crash bars. They took the brunt of the scratch and dig action. I do have a set of front crash bars on my V11S that I bought directly from Agustini's in Mandello. Have you checked there for a set? It my well be that they no longer have them. The only other place I had seen them in the past was at MG Cycle but I haven't looked in a long time.

I hope I can manage not to drop my Sport but I know that I am fully qualified for the job if I work at it. :grin:

Well, it's good to know I am not alone! :grin:

I do have a set of front crash bars on my V11S that I bought directly from Agustini's in Mandello. Have you checked there for a set? It my well be that they no longer have them. The only other place I had seen them in the past was at MG Cycle but I haven't looked in a long time.

I checked with Agostini's and they no longer carry them. Apparantly the manufacturer, (Stucchi?) has stopped making them. I'm hoping some dealer has one sitting on dusty shelf somewhere...just gotta keep calling around.

Randy

I've forgotten to check to make sure the side stand was down before taking the bike off the shop stand. Flopped it on it's side in the garage. If the neighbors didn't know the f-word, they sure know it now.

:homer::homer::homer::homer::homer::homer:

I make it a regular habit to make sure my lights work, so with the bike idling on sidestand I went to check the rear brake, but apparently when I faced the taillight I reversed right and left and dropped it into first gear. zzmrbean.jpg I can't believe I did that!!!

Broke the tip off the clutch lever, and probably a few scratches, but not noticeable since the bike had been down on that side before.

"Life is tough. It's even tougher when your stupid." --John Wayne

Guest Nogbad

I make it a regular habit to make sure my lights work, so with the bike idling on sidestand I went to check the rear brake, but apparently when I faced the taillight I reversed right and left and dropped it into first gear. zzmrbean.jpg I can't believe I did that!!!

Broke the tip off the clutch lever, and probably a few scratches, but not noticeable since the bike had been down on that side before.

"Life is tough. It's even tougher when your stupid." --John Wayne

That's a new one! But easy to do I guess. Times I must have braked with the gears and vice versa for the first 10 mins on a Brit in the past...... Luckily you seem to realise quickly enough to avoid a lock up.

I had just moved my then recently aquired V11 and had been sitting on it for a few minutes basking in the glory of the machine when I stood up and leaned it to the left to settle on the sidestand. Trouble is, I hadn't extended the stand...............

I thought the bike was done for but I did manage to catch it before it hit the ground. Unfortunately (?) all the weight of the bike and my ample body was crushing my left ankle which felt like it would explode at any moment. The ankle held (but not without damage) and I found the strength to right the bike. Almost 9 months later I still limp badly after a long day on my feet and the pain from working the shift lever is at times, almost unbearable.

Shoulda just let the bitch go!

Guest redguzziv10

Happened just this morning...

pulled the bike out of the garage, put my lid on, and went back into the garage to get something, and whacked my helmet on the not-fully-open garage door.

Now my six month old Caberg has a nice 2 inch crack along the forehead.

just grrreat!

Happened just this morning...

pulled the bike out of the garage, put my lid on, and went back into the garage to get something, and whacked my helmet on the not-fully-open garage door.

Now my six month old Caberg has a nice 2 inch crack along the forehead.

just grrreat!

Damn, what would have happened to your head without the helmet????????

I might rethink the idea of getting a Caberg. :P Can't imagine an impact like that cracking the shell of a good helmet :huh2:

Guest redguzziv10

I might rethink the idea of getting a Caberg. :P Can't imagine an impact like that cracking the shell of a good helmet :huh2:

ok, i confess, there may have been a bit of exageration there. it just chipped about two inches of the paint off...

but i was pi**ed of, ok :)

Guest Nogbad

Probably nothing. Your eyes and brain are calibrated to know where the top of your head is through long experience. When you ducked to go into the garage, you simply ducked just enough to clear your bare head and forgot about the extra 2" of helmet. I really notice this at work when I am clambering about in a hard hat I am always hitting it on steam pipes and stuff. When I put on one of those welders' bump caps instead because the particular place was tight for space I didn't hit my head at all!

Probably nothing. Your eyes and brain are calibrated to know where the top of your head is through long experience.

Until "recalibration" is required. Like when I used to work in a hospital, we ran between buildings through the service tunnels. Lots of pipes etc running along the ceiling. After working there for years, got used to knowing that my 6'2 cleared everything. Then bought new comfy shoes which happened to be about 3/4" higher than I had. First day I had them I knocked myself out in the tunnel and carved a nice gash in my scalp. Luckily I was already in a hospital...

It's those "recalibration" moments us high folk dread! :)

Rj