Retro fit an 04' Cal trans to a lemans IV? and rebuiild q's

Guest bird

Hi, anyone aware as to whether there are any things to be concerned about if I want to replace my damaged 86 lemans iv 5 spd trans with an 04 cal trans? Would it behoove me to use the cal clutch with the 4mm cutch hub too?

Also, on the rebuild of the lemans iv trans,

the damage (a broken shifter fork and the 5th gear sliding coupler) are the result of a shattered cush drive spring on the main shaft. If I were to bebuild, I hear different stories from two 30yr mechanics....1) replace the cush spring with a set of belvel washers and a new clutch shaft to match it....as described in guzziology.....2) dont bother, they rarely break....I am to think that since it did break, why not replace it with the belvel washer system....yet, if they rarely do, why spend the money either....What do y'all think..?

Hi, anyone aware as to whether there are any things to be concerned about if I want to replace my damaged 86 lemans iv 5 spd trans with an 04 cal trans? Would it behoove me to use the cal clutch with the 4mm cutch hub too?

As far as I understand (as an amateur, I just recently had a similar question and did some research) you can use the Cali trans with its' new-style clutch boss and just replace the friction plates to new-style too. I guess you could do it the other way round but that has obvious disadvantages.

Thanks, yeah the 4mm cluth hub is already there so why not, can I keep the flywheel? but need to replace what clutch parts specifically?

It seems an "upgrade" to deep splines just consists of new friction plates and a new clutch boss. So either you just take the friction plates from the Cali if you have them or buy new ones. And that's it if I read it right. Other stuff like the intermediate plate will fit either one.