'02 V11 CLUTCH RATTLE

WRC

My V11, when first started up, has a clutch rattle sort of like a Ducati . Is this normal or is something going wrong. Got about 12k miles on it. Rattles only when clutch is engaged.

Thanks

Bob

My V11, when first started up, has a clutch rattle sort of like a Ducati . Is this normal or is something going wrong. Got about 12k miles on it. Rattles only when clutch is engaged.

Thanks

Bob

The sound is similar isn't it? Actually the sound is normal, but it's origin is different. I should add that there are two sounds you will hear at idle. With the clutch lever pulled in, that's the clutch "tingling". With the clutch lever NOT pulled in, that's actually the gearbox gears rattling, a result of the very lite flywheel the V11 has, which allows for very quick accelerating, and decelerating of the engine at low revs, which in turn makes the teeth of the gearbox main shaft dance against each other. Rev the engine up to say, 2000rpm, and there's enough 'flywheel' effect happening to make things smooth out.

I always leave my fast idle on [ the labelled 'choke lever'] , to prevent this a bit, and also allow for nicer downshifts when riding.

Steve