Cleaning up the Alternator Cover

GraeV11

I have been scratching around the garage for things to do whilst the snow sits heavily outside and have decided that my alternator cover is looking a tad shabby. Does anyone have experience on best way to clean this up and provide a more durable finish ? I was thinking of going chrome ? or, if I am suddenly overcome with laziness, is there a good source of chrome replacement covers out there ?(I cannot find for the V11). Thanks.

Composite Materials Fabrication Handbook #2, ISBN 9781929133932 has the info on how to make molds from your alt. cover so you can repop it in fibreglas or CF. Sure, you could buy some CF glitz, but think how much more satisfying it would be to know that any time it got cracked or shattered, or even just a little grimy, you could bonk out another any evening it was convenient? :luigi:

:thumbsup:

:grin:

Composite Materials Fabrication Handbook #2, ISBN 9781929133932 has the info on how to make molds from your alt. cover so you can repop it in fibreglas or CF. Sure, you could buy some CF glitz, but think how much more satisfying it would be to know that any time it got cracked or shattered, or even just a little grimy, you could bonk out another any evening it was convenient? :luigi:

:thumbsup:

:grin:

Or just carve one out of wood :oldgit:

Thanks for your input guys. I am particularly taken with the idea of fabricating one myself (although not so sure about using wood !). I have also noticed that the Iron Man reactor / heart from my son's dressing up outfit is a good match for size, it flashes blue, and makes some cool noises. Now if I add some diodes and get it to spin with the alternator then I will have a product worthy of my status as a resident of Essex. I will let you know.

If I don't get out of this house soon I am going to lose it completely ! :wacko:

• 1 year later...

Is it possible to remove the alt cover without removing the engine. I had a quick look, and the top two phillips screws seem partly obscured by the frame. ast they're soft steel I didn't want to go inat an angle just to sheer them. WHat's everybody else done?

Pete