Speedo drive fault

PeteTW

Hey All,

As a very new V11 Sport owner, I was hit by a bit of character on SUnday when out with the missus. The speedo simply stopped working. I tested all the parts using a cordless drill on anti-clockwise rotation to get enough speed to get the needle moving.

It looks like the cable is 100% fine and the clock itself. The Black plastic gearing that mounts on the gearbox seems to be the troble. I took it apart only minimally (removing the two pins) and gave it a good old clean and lube and rebuilt it. The pin which connects to the cable seemed to click in and I tested the gearing by attaching the gearbox drive pin to the drill. Hey presto it worked!

So as always a great excuse for a test ride...1.4 miles later no speedo :(

Is this a common V11 fault. I suppose I need to buy a new gearbox to cable black palstic thingy right?

Still the using a cordless drill to diagnose the problem made life super easy.

Cheers

Pete

Hey All,

As a very new V11 Sport owner, I was hit by a bit of character on SUnday when out with the missus. The speedo simply stopped working. I tested all the parts using a cordless drill on anti-clockwise rotation to get enough speed to get the needle moving.

It looks like the cable is 100% fine and the clock itself. The Black plastic gearing that mounts on the gearbox seems to be the troble. I took it apart only minimally (removing the two pins) and gave it a good old clean and lube and rebuilt it. The pin which connects to the cable seemed to click in and I tested the gearing by attaching the gearbox drive pin to the drill. Hey presto it worked!

Is this a common V11 fault. I suppose I need to buy a new gearbox to cable black palstic thingy right?

Cheers

Pete

Yes - it is one of the known, common faults - the OEM speedo was crap.

If it is still "working" (not totally f'd) then there is a fix - search for it, I think Greg Field posted about it.

I blew up mine on a long trip a few years ago at about 10,000 miles, but luckily I had scheduled a service at my next stop - MPH in Houston. Todd had a new speddo there, and Mike put it in and did the other things I needed, and off I went. no problems since then.

Hey All,

Cheers

Pete

Yes - it is one of the known, common faults - the OEM speedo was crap.

If it is still "working" (not totally f'd) then there is a fix - search for it, I think Greg Field posted about it.

I blew up mine on a long trip a few years ago at about 10,000 miles, but luckily I had scheduled a service at my next stop - MPH in Houston. Todd had a new speddo there, and Mike put it in and did the other things I needed, and off I went. no problems since then.

Hi Pete

the black plastic 30 degree gearbox is a fragile creature, and fails easily if the speedo cable is not well lubed or the cable outer is misaligned when it is screwed on. Early v11s use one at bothe the speedo and the transmission drive end, later ones have a feed straight from the gearbox ie vertical with the black plastic thingy fitted at the speedo only. Both are identical. Failure mode is that the gears wear til they don't engage any more. Once lubed they are OK, mine is 50K+ and still going.... that's jinxed me!

Cheers

Guzz

Right, I undid the cable at the gear box end and pushed the drive pin back it, it made a gentle click and I re-attached the cable. Hey presto it works. Until the next time it pops out!

Does anyone know if there's an upgraded replacement part as I don't want to pay good money for OEM with a built in fault.

Cheers

Pete