ECU questions.

68C

Looking at the various V11 wiring diagrams prompts me to ask a couple of questions.

1. Earlier V11s have ECU pin 15 connected to a 'warning lamp'. This pin is not connected on later non-lamda bikes. What was the function of this light, can it be fitted to later bikes?

2. ECU pin 17 is permanently connected to the battery. Is there a continual, albeit small, current drain. Would adding an under seat switch prolong battery charge for longer term storage?

The earlier P8 ECUs had a light that would flash a code to tell you what was wrong but the code would clear itself as soon as you turned the key off.

Early Guzzis like the 96 1100i had the light on the dash, my EV had the light under the seat but I couldn't get it to flash even when I created one of the faults listed.

http://www.dpguzzi.com/efiman.pdf find the codes on page 23, 24

This manual is very informative, the sensor and pump information is identical to the later ECUs like you have. I have never seen a manual for the later ECUs

I have never measured the drain to pin 17, I'd be surprised to see it more than a few microamps, may be just to retain a memory or something, I have no clue.

Since you are curious why not measure it and let us know, I don't have one to measure at the moment.

First of all you need to check your meter will measure milliamps, the chances are the milliamp fuse is blown and it will read zero fooling you into thinking there is no drain

Take a high value resistor like 1K Ohms and measure the current in series across a battery

If your meter fuse is blown put the resistor in series with pin 17 of the ECU and see if you can measure any Voltage drop across the resistor.

I suggested a 1 K resister because it's a common value but whatever you have handy 220 - 10k will do just as well

I sometimes suggest using a 12 Volt LED to find a parasitic drain, they will light up at

BTW, the later direct connect regulators draw a small current, I measured 0.3 mA

A GPS base for some reason will flatten the battery even if the unit is not plugged in

The even earlier P8 ECUs had a light that would flash a code to tell you what was wrong but the code would clear itself as soon as you turned the key off.

http://www.dpguzzi.com/efiman.pdf This manual is very informative, the sensor and pump information is identical to the later ECUs like you have

accept you don't have a crank sensor, #7 ...cam sensor only on the later ECU.

I know you are but they were preceded by the P8, many things are the same.

I have never seen a manual for a later one but Cliff Jefferies has a good explanation on his MyECU site