Battery Replacement

dlaing

I just bought an Enersys Hawker Odyssey PC545 "Dry Cell" SLA Battery (I think SLA means, Sealed Lead Acid)

It is identical on the exterior to the OE Hesa Spark 500 Guzzi Battery in every way, except it is orange instead of black, and the label is different.

My OE battery lasted exactly four years, and I bought my 2000 model bike In December 2000, so the battery had probably been sitting for months.

The specifications on the Odyssey 0770-2019 PC 545 are:

five second cranking amps: 545 (like the model name)

CCA (as listed on sheet): 230A

CCA (as listed on label): 185A

MCA (as listed on label): 240A

PHCA(as listed on label): 545A

Reserve capacity: 18 Minutes

Weight 5.7kg (12.6lbs)

Length 7 1/32"

Depth (height when installed on Guzzi) 3 13/32"

Height 5 3/16"

female threaded for m6 bolts

They included two stainless steel hex key machine screws (bolts)

2 Year full replacement warranty

I bought it from Portable Power Systems of Denver Colarado USA

$69.95 plus $8.79 UPS shipping to San Diego, your mileage may vary, literally.

Many place wanted alot more for it.

spark545xh9.jpg

For $10 more you can get a metal reinforced model to endure very cold temperatures, a must for Northern Europeans.

***Edit, I was wrong, the metal jacket allows for it to operate at higher temperatures, not lower.

Operating temp.

plastic case only -40 degrees C to + 60 degrees C

-40 C degrees to + 80 degrees C

with metal jacket

***37L141S7.jpg

Warning!

Handling batteries can be hazardous and lethal.

You should only install, remove or charge batteries if you know what you are doing.

The below information is intended to help make battery maintainance safer.

Please use care, and refer to the shop and owner's manuals for further details before proceeding.

Here are some tips from Odyssey that are probably also applicable to the OE battery:

"DO NOT SHORT CIRCUIT YOUR BATTERY'S TERMINALS!"

"Odyssey is shipped fully charged from the factory, but prior to installation, check the battery's voltage to see if it is 12.65 volts or greater. if not, recharge it using the procedure below."

Note: It is probably a good idea to check the voltage before riding if your bike has not been ridden in a while, and charge it if is below 12.65V before starting the bike. see Winter Storage section below...

"Never attempt to remove the top decal cover as it will cause the battery to fail.

Charging

First determine the state of charge:

12.84V 100% charged

12.50V 75%

12.18V 50%

PowerSport Vehicles have limited charging systems. To get long life from the Odyssey® battery it is important that the battery is kept near full charge, approximately 12.8V. If there are electrical loads during storage, then the negegative battery cable should be disconnected or a Battery Tender® trickle charger used. Low power 1.25 amp Battery Tenders® will keep a fully charged battery fully charged but cannnot recharge if Odyssey® becomes discharged."

they talk about using a Deltran 6 or 20 amp charger for deep discharge applications(something we don't do, right?)

Then they say,

" If a standard automotive charger is used to boost charge a discharged battery because of an accessory left on, it is important to make sure the charging voltage does no exceed 15 volts during charge. A hand held voltmeter can be used to monitor this periodically. The following chart provides recharge times under this type of boost charging to an 80-95% recharge.

Charge times for a 100% discharged battery with a resting reading of 11.5V

10 Amp charger 1.5 hours

20 Amp charger 45 minutes"

Please note that many 2, 6, 10, or 20 Amp chargers will exceed 15V, which could destroy your battery.

"Winter Storage

Odyssey® does not lose its charged energy during cold storage temperatres, so there is no need to trickle or float charge during winter months. To store offseason, measure the battery voltage to make sure it is fully charged, 12.84 V or greater; recharge if neccessary. Completely disconnect the battery (both positive and negative terminals to prevent any applied electrical storage dischargin. Odyssey® cannot freeze down to -40C or -40F so it can be left in the vehicle. It can be stored for 2 years or more."

Installation

Whatever you do, do not short out the terminals.

Remove all metalic jewlery that might possibly come in contact with the terminals.

Remove old battery by doing the following in the following order:

1.Disconnect negative cables.

2.Disconnect positive cables.

3.Remove rubber hold down strap.

4.Pull battery out. After installation of the new battery the old battery must be recycled.

Install the new battery

1." Position your Odyssey® in the battery holder and fasten firmly to the vehicle"(place in rubber battery tray and strap down with rubber hold down strap)

2."Connect the positve cable from your ignition to the Positive(+) terminal."

"Torque the bolt/screw to a maximum of 50 in-lbs (4 ft-lbs.) "

3."Connect the negative cable from your engine or chassis to the Negative(-) terminal."

"Torque the bolt/screw to a maximum of 50 in-lbs (4 ft-lbs.) "

I believe that it is a bad practice to touch the Positve terminal (red or +) when the battery is grounded. This is not mentioned by Odyssey, but I believe it is an important aspect when handling high amperage batteries.

In previous posts some people, including me, mentioned the Hawker Genesis G13EP. While it does meet the size and power requirements, it does not meet the durability requirements of motorcycles.

Some people recommend the Yuasa ytx15L-bs

http://www.yuasabatteries.com.au/asp/index...2&type=1224 6 7/8" x 3 7/16" x 5 1/8"

Weight: 8.8 lbs.

Metric Dimensions: 175mm x 87mm x 130mm

Metric Weight: 4.0 kg

Paul Minnaert recommended:

the Yuasa ytx9-bs, a lot smaller, lighter and cheaper.

and he has had one last 9 years!

There is also the Westco 12V13L

Voltage 12

Amp Hour 13

CCA* 275

Length 6-7/8"

Width 3-1/4"

Height 5-1/4"

Weight 11.8lbs

MSRP $89.95

Guest Brian Robson

I think it is easier and safer to connect the terminals and then slide the battery in place on the LeMans. There is more risk of wires, jewelry or wrenches shorting out once the battery is fully strapped in and you try to use a spanner in that small space.

Once both of the terminals are hooked up, the battery can slide in.

My tuppence worth....but credit should be given to Steve G who thought of this as I was hammering the battery into place outside his workplace. :thumbsup:

In previous posts some people, including me, mentioned the Hawker Genesis G13EP

I think the recommended Genesis battery is the P545.

Always attach the negative (common) leads last. That way, if your wrench contacts something while attaching the positive leads, nothing will happen.

There is no recommended Genesis Battery.

According to the Genesis webpage of the company that sold me the Odyssey;

"For motorsports applications use the Odyssey battery. The Odyssey was designed for rugged vibration sensitive applications with thicker plates to prevent cracking and premature failure. The warranty on the Genesis doesn't cover motorsports installations. "

There is no recommended Genesis Battery.

According to the Genesis webpage of the company that sold me the Odyssey;

"For motorsports applications use the Odyssey battery. The Odyssey was designed for rugged vibration sensitive applications with thicker plates to prevent cracking and premature failure. The warranty on the Genesis doesn't cover motorsports installations. "

40543[/snapback]

You're right, I meant to write Odyssey, but in my usual mental confusion, failed to force my fingers to follow my thoughts.

As far as your battery source goes though, there are Odyssey models specifically for motorcycles:

# Superior starting power and deep cycle capacity

# Double to triple the cranking power of regular size conventional batteries

# Run more accessories without fear of discharging your battery

# Vibration Resistant

# 2 Year Replacement Warranty (Don't settle for a 1 year warranty or less)

Sounds like your source doesn't want to cover warranty replacements.

Odyssey Motorycycle Batteries

odyssey_pc680mjt.jpg

But I will be more specific. The PC545 is the recommended size for the V11 Sport and Sport 1100i etc.

As far as your battery source goes though, there are Odyssey models specifically for motorcycles:

Sounds like your source doesn't want to cover warranty replacements.

40552[/snapback]

I think you are still confusing the Odyssey with the Genesis, both made by Hawker(allegedly)

My source will not warrant the Genesis for use on motorcycles.

My source will warrant the Odyssey for use on motorcycles, for two years.

PS your source is overpriced! :bbblll:

PPS if you wanna see the link to the OE Hesa Spark 500, go here:

http://www.hesa.com/componenti_industria/c..._spar_spar.html

I found this battery in Holland for .................145,- Euro. That'more than 200 USD!!!

The first time I had to replace the battery in my Sport 1100i, I paid MG $168 for it. At the time, the Sport 1100i and a few select HD's were the only bikes using this type of battery. At least they're more common now and there are more places and better prices available. Dave's found the best price yet.

I apologize. I was wrong about the metal jacket version being for cold weather.

I guess it is for high heat conditions, like close to an engine.

Operating temp.

plastic case only -40 degrees C to + 60 degrees C

-40 C degrees to + 80 degrees C

with metal jacket

Now showing:

Stanley "Guzzi" Kubrick's "Full Metal Battery"  :P

40576[/snapback]

" Leonard sits up. He looks at Joker. He

strips off his skivvy shirt and ties it around his

face to blindfold himself. He begins to

field-strip his weapon. He pulls off the

blindfold. His fingers continue to break down the

rifle into components. Then, gently, he fondles

each piece. "Just look at that pretty trigger

guard. Have you ever seen a more beautiful piece

of metal? He starts snapping the steel

components back together. "Her connector assembly

is so beautiful..."

Leonard continues to babble as his trained

fingers reassemble the black metal hardware.

Leonard reaches under his pillow and comes

out with a loaded magazine. Gently, he inserts

the metal magazine into his weapon, into Charlene.

"Leonard...where did you get those live

rounds?" "

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/doc/0065.html