twin spark on my v11

Golem

Unless you don't use silly ultra high dome pistons (like those from FastByFerraci or the like) you probably won't see very much benefit of this action. If any at all.

There's space for very small and ridiculous expensive spark plugs only. The problem correctly mentioned by Skeeve is totally beyond any affordable solution. Altering the spark is NOT the problem here, the question is: what means "slightly less advance"? Without a ion sensing device or alternatively an, e.g., piezo based pressure sensor you'll be totally lost.

The whole thing makes sense only if you want or need to run your engine really on the lean side. Or maybe if you bought the high dome thingies, as written above.

Hubert

luhbo said:
The problem correctly mentioned by Skeeve is totally beyond any affordable solution. Altering the spark is NOT the problem here, the question is: what means "slightly less advance"?

I dunno about "totally beyond any affordable solution:" lots of folks seem to find the price of a Dynojet PCIII affordable, and the Tuneboy isn't much more expensive than a PCIII but gives you access to changing the timing curve...

As for "how much is a little," there's a ready answer to that question, if presently unknown. Let's access the "dealer data" subroutine to see if that will work:

Hey, Greg: is there any data on the advance curve [max advance] used on the "track kit" for the V11 Breva Sport? Supposedly there was one available when I read reviews of that bike a couple years back at its introduction, and if it was anything like the Ti pipe kit for our spineys, it came with a replacement ECU (or at least a custom map to upload...)

If so, that's the 1st iteration [& perhaps only one needed] for a map for any earlier 1064cc Guzzi that has been dual-plugged, since the motors of the CARC models didn't change the bore & stroke specs significantly but came with dual-plugged heads ex-factory... If we dig deep into the archives here at V11LM.com, I think we'll find the topic of reducing the max advance covered in topics about dual-plugging the V11 back in the day. IIRC, it was something like 8deg less? [Reduced from approx. 37deg to 29, if memory serves. It probably doesn't], since I'm showing signs of the early stages of CRS, but whatever... ;)]

Anyway, I'm not certain the "silly high-domed FBF pistons" are necessary to see beneficial results from this sort of mod: the ability to run on regular [with appropriate timing changes] or obtain the significantly higher mileage claims supposedly seen by the CARC models, or even just making passing smog testing easier for those who might live somewhere that bikes get tested could all be beneficial enough to justify the expense, depending upon the individual. Let's let Golem decide that for himself, shall we? :thumbsup:

Some info about different Guzzi maps would be interesting, no doubt. I know from Ducati owners that at least on some bikes there is no difference in the maps between single and dual plugged engines.

I wouldn't be too surprised if it was the same with the new Guzzis. On the other hand I'd be really surprised if Guzzi would share map details with their dealers.

Hubert

The V11 has a peak advance of 43 or 44° even. Better be careful with simple old school Guzzi maths ;)

The 1200 Sport kit includes an ECU that is open loop. I do not know of a way to get its mapping data. What I can tell you is that many of these twin-plug bikes seem more prone to pinging than our V11s, but there could be many factors that contribute to that.

Thanks everyone for the support.

I've checked the price and it is far to expensive for the improvement that the conversion looks to brings so I've decided not to do it

Good thinking. The most bang for the bucks is to buy gasoline and just ride it :thumbsup:

Not doubt about it. I know Europe from up to down and from west to east but if I can do something ( within my budget) to improve the factory performance I go for it.

Golem,

twin spark is always better for the combustion. The engine will not get so hot anymore and the burning gas will be optimal.

Millepercento, (Bruno Scola) use to do the flow job. Flow job=rectifying of the two heads of tyour V11. The max will be 0.5 mm they will get off.

This means more compression and better combustion. Remapping of the ECU is a part of it.

I don’t know the exactly price of this work but it would be around € 400,- Sound reasonable to me…

Try to get a camshaft of Scola to. The OSS 8.2 will be the best for the V11. More torque ;)