Deep Sump for Guzzi V11 - installation

Guest dopiata

Guest dopiata

Has anyone installed a deep sump on a Guzzi V11?

I would like to know:

1. What parts will I need to complete the task.

Example: Gasket, filter, extended dip stick, parts

to extend the oil intake?, brackets, etc.

2. How will I modify the oil pump intake to extend it to the bottom.

What material should I use?

Should I completely remove the old or extend it?

3. What is the best location for the oil intake?

4. Should I completely remove the oil cooler / radiator setup?

5. If not, how would I go about mod'ing the sump to utilize the cooler / radiator.

6. Do the US sumps have the sight glass on the side?

7. How will I address the weakness in the kick-stand mounting?

Thanks

. What parts will I need to complete the task.

to extend the oil intake?, brackets, etc.

gasket, filter

oil intake is boud in as far as i know.

yes

5. If not, how would I go about mod'ing the sump to utilize the cooler / radiator.

al pictures I've seen show it on it's side.

Best to order at the manufacturer: moto spezial in germany. Tell them what bike you have and ask to send all parts, I think that you can have the oil glass where you want it. They should be able to answer all questions left.

But I bought a bike that had the sump to get one. As a bonus it was an 1225 cc engine:-)

Guest dopiata

Regarding this question and your answer:

oil intake is boud in as far as i know.

What do you mean "boud"

I know you are from Europe, so I assume the translation is mixed mode?

Do I need to extend the tube into the bottom of the sump?

I have not opened up the current sump on my V11.

I am getting ready to order the parts today though, since what you say seems very straight forward.

Thanks

Deep_V_bracket_01.jpgDeep_V_bracket_03.jpgDeep_V_bracket_02.jpgIt has been over three years since I installed the deep V sump on my 2000 V11 Sport, but if my memory serves me correctly there are only a few items needed in installing the sump.

The sump I have does not have the site glass. I am not sure if the newer ones do or not.

As far as I know, there are no dealers in the U.S. that carries the sump. MG Cycles does have them but they get them through Stein-Dainse? so the price is higher since it has to go through two distributors. I think Raceco in the UK had them for cheaper but then you have to pay the shipping etc.

The sump comes with longer bolts needed for the sump and it comes with a length of hose and banjo fittings that attach to the frame oil catch (drainback hose to sump). The oil pickup is casted into the lowest part of the deep V sump.

You will need the proper oil filter (stock guzzi filter) and a sump gasket. The sump gasket you will need fits between the upper stock oil pan and engine block. Yes, the stock V11 oil pan is two piece.

Also, there is a weird tube and oil cooler thermostat that is removed with the upper oil sump, the stock oil filter center needs to be removed and installed on the new sump. The oil bypass valve also needs to be removed and install as well. This valve is super tight (lock tighted inplace) and I ended up cracking the housing to the thermostat housing upon removal. Just a warning.

With the deep V sump, the amount of oil the sump holds is about the same as the stock V11 sump. If the sump were going on an older model than, yes, the sump has a larger capacity.

I had to make up the mount to help support the sidestand. The itty bitty 6mm bolt really does hold the sidestand in place. I never got around to painting it, so it looks kind of sh&()^$ty.

Mike

Has anyone installed a deep sump on a Guzzi V11?

I would like to know:

1. What parts will I need to complete the task.

to extend the oil intake?,  brackets, etc.

Thanks

43346[/snapback]

Guest dopiata

And another question.

Is there a way to attach the oil radiator to the Deep Sump?

What is the normal operating temperature of the oil anyway?

Does anyone know this?

And how does it run in the Deep Sump compaired to the ambient air?

I am almost convinced based on what you said, that it is better to go with a SUMP SPACER ... with a Windage Tray to keep the oil in the sump during acceleration and hard braking.

I wish I could just go down to a local machinist and work these issues out ... but here in the US ... we have outsourced everything. Is there a local machinist in NJ, that is for hire?

Other then the SUMP SPACER being more heavier then the DEEP SUMP setup ... I am not sure what the real gain is? I have seen SUMP SPACERs with filters on the outside as well. I have not called up MGCycle regarding this, as I still have to come to some rational conclusion ...

Ideally my goals are:

1. More oil in the sump

2. External filter for easier and more frequent changes.

3. Use the oil radiator if possible to allow for more cooling.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

The main reasons for me going to the deep V sump were, get rid of the oil cooler and failing brackets (before new steel version came out), loose some weight, center oil pickup a big plus, easy oil filter replacement and lastly looks. :lol:

I would not worry about increasing the oil sump size. I have run my bikes hard in very hot conditions and never had any problem with tempertures. I have also ridden my Jackal two up fully loaded on Route 66 through the bowels of Amboy to Twentynine Palms in the temperture range of 110 to 113 degrees. The Jackal has no oil cooler and a smaller sump.

So, yeah, a sump spacer and windage tray would fit the bill for what you are looking for, but the center oil pickup is one big plus on the deep V sump.

I don't know if the oil cooler can be plumbed into the deep V sump. Some drilling welding and machining would be needed. The stock setup uses a themostat which only opens at a set temperture (which I don't know). This way the cooler is bypassed when the temps are low. This would be very hard to install with the deep V sump.

I am not sure the sump spacer will work on the V11S setup. Maybe someone on the site knows for sure.

Hope this helps you out,

Mike

And another question.

Is there a way to attach the oil radiator to the Deep Sump?

What is the normal operating temperature of the oil anyway?

Does anyone know this?

And how does it run in the Deep Sump compaired to the ambient air?

I am almost convinced based on what you said, that it is better to go with a SUMP SPACER ... with a Windage Tray to keep the oil in the sump during acceleration and hard braking.

I wish I could just go down to a local machinist and work these issues out ... but here in the US ... we have outsourced everything.  Is there a local machinist in NJ, that is for hire?

Other then the SUMP SPACER being more heavier then the DEEP SUMP setup ... I am not sure what the real gain is?  I have seen SUMP SPACERs with filters on the outside as well.  I have not called up MGCycle regarding this, as I still have to come to some rational conclusion ...

Ideally my goals are:

1. More oil in the sump

2. External filter for easier and more frequent changes.

3. Use the oil radiator if possible to allow for more cooling.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

43453[/snapback]

I had to make up the mount to help support the sidestand.  The itty bitty 6mm bolt really does hold the sidestand in place. I never got around to painting it, so it looks kind of sh&()^$ty. 

Mike

43395[/snapback]

About the question of side stand i replace the oem system by one coming from first daytona or first sport carb so the stand is now nearest of the engine and it is a better looking system :P

Have a look on the supertwin

tr2004scuderiajmm3.jpg