Oil Consumption

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

I sure can't explain this, but the oil consumption has fallen by a factor of 3 since changing to Castrol GTD Diesel Car Oil (10W-40) compared with Castrol GPS (10W-40) Bike Oil.

Before it was taking 600 miles to go from full to half full. Now it is taking 1600 miles.

Maybe this has nothing to do with the oil, but is simply down to the engine bedding in (10K on it now).

I have also had my first electrical gremlin. The right rear indicator stopped working. Ah thinks I, the bulb is gone. Bulb is fine. A thin layer of oxide on the bulb and contacts was enough to stop it working. Oddly enough, the damn flasher did the same frequency on one bulb than with 2. No warning there then!

• 2 weeks later...
I sure can't explain this, but the oil consumption has fallen by a factor of 3 since changing to Castrol GTD Diesel Car Oil (10W-40) compared with Castrol GPS (10W-40) Bike Oil.

Before it was taking 600 miles to go from full to half full. Now it is taking 1600 miles.

Maybe this has nothing to do with the oil, but is simply down to the engine bedding in (10K on it now).

I have also had my first electrical gremlin. The right rear indicator stopped working. Ah thinks I, the bulb is gone. Bulb is fine. A thin layer of oxide on the bulb and contacts was enough to stop it working. Oddly enough, the damn flasher did the same frequency on one bulb than with 2. No warning there then!

57308[/snapback]

I once drove my MGB through Germany to Switzerland at high speed. Oil consumption 1.5 liters on 1500km. Changed oil in CH from monograde to multigrade, drove back, consumption halved.

I thought the v11 was supposed to run on 20w50 oil? Have you tried using the 20w50 to reduce oil consumption? 10w40 is a good oil for most cars but I think it may be a little "light" for a bike engine. I'm sure that there are more knowledgeable Guzzi engine guys here with an educated opinion of this...

Guest Nogbad
I thought the v11 was supposed to run on 20w50 oil? Have you tried using the 20w50 to reduce oil consumption? 10w40 is a good oil for most cars but I think it may be a little "light" for a bike engine. I'm sure that there are more knowledgeable Guzzi engine guys here with an educated opinion of this...

57802[/snapback]

I dunno where to get quality 20W50. The dealer filled it with 10W40, and 10W40 is easily available in high quality dino and synthetic almost anywhere. The only readily available 20W50 is low cost dino sold for the knackered old cars of the underclass......

The Guzzi manual says 10W40 is ok for the ambient temperatures we experience here.