Another lurker turned owner

WitchCityBallabio

Hi all. My name is Doug. I live in Salem, MA.

My introduction to the V11 was about 3 years ago. I always liked the bikes, and was smitten for the V11 Sport when I first saw it. I took one for a test spin and it was love at first ride.

Unfortunately, just before that test ride I had recently purchased a 2002 Honda Interceptor and mounted Givi hard luggage for a cross country trip of a life time with friends. After getting back from the trip, I drove the VFR around for a while, but found I was a bit bored by it. I had in the past owned all Japanese bikes, V65 Sabre, GSXR-1100, etc, etc.

I found I was always drawn back to that delightful sounding Guzzi twin and the urge to ride something with a bit more soul. After selling the VFR and being without a bike for a year, I finally decided to shop around for a nice V11. I have found one, and it should be shipped to me in the next couple of weeks. I'm very excited. The downside of course, is that here in the Northeast, it's mid winter, we're expecting a pretty decent snow storm, and riding is probably still a month and half away.

I'm glad to have found this forum and have already learned a lot from the membership. I look forward to reading and participating in the forum. Thanks for putting together a great resource.

Doug

The downside of course, is that here in the Northeast, it's mid winter, we're expecting a pretty decent snow storm, and riding is probably still a month and half away.

Doug

Hi Doug, Dennis here, up in Maine. Lets hope we can get back on the road by April! I knew we would be paying for all the warm days in early winter.

Maybe we can put together an unofficial meet somewhere in southern Maine or NH early this season. I'm about 2-1/2 hours from Portsmouth. It would be fun to see how many Guzzi we could gather. Why don't you sign up to the MEME board and see what we've got going. If nothing else I'll be coming down to the Lars Anderson meet in the fall.

Hope to meet up along the way.

Dennis

My introduction to the V11 was about 3 years ago. I always like the bikes, and was smitten for the V11 Sport when I first saw it. I took one for a test spin and it was love at first ride.

Unfortunately, just before that test ride I had recently purchased a 2002 Honda Interceptor and mounted Givi hard luggage for a cross country trip of a life time with friends. After getting back from the trip, I drove the VFR around for a while, but found I was a bit bored by it. I had in the past owned all Japanese bikes, V65 Sabre, GSXR-1100, etc, etc.

I found I was always drawn back to that delightful sounding Guzzi twin and the urge to ride something with a bit more soul. After selling the VFR and being without a bike for a year, I finally decided to shop around for a nice V11. I have found one, and it should be shipped to me in the next couple of weeks. I'm very excited. The downside of course, is that here in the Northeast, it's mid winter, we're expecting a pretty decent snow storm, and riding is probably still a month and half away.

I'm glad to have found this forum and have already learned a lot from the membership. I look forward to reading and participating in the forum. Thanks for putting together a great resource.

Doug

Hi Doug, I have a grey 2004 Ballabio and its a great bike, I live in Andover,Ma. In the spring we will have to get together for a ride,and welcome to the fold.S.D.

Hi Doug, I have a grey 2004 Ballabio and its a great bike, I live in Andover,Ma. In the spring we will have to get together for a ride,and welcome to the fold.S.D.

I look forward to it. As a newbie Guzzi owner, it'll be good hearing your experiences with the bike.

Doug

As a new owner of a 2004 Ballabio, what are some of the things I should be preparing myself for with regards to repairs?

Obviously the crossover pipe seal (for which a cure has been designed here).

The shifter pawl spring? Does that apply to the 2004 years? Should I carry one on the bike in the event of a failure and is it something I could replace on the side of a road?

I've also read of the rear end locking up. Either from improperly adjusted brakes, or a failure of a bearing. Is this something that also affects the 2004?

Is there anything else that I should be paying close attention to? :luigi:

Thanks for the help

Doug.

[so few questions ! so many answers ! i'm afraid you'll just have to ask questions of problems after they arrive , untill then enjoy the ride, welcome to the forum doug :thumbsup: hopefully as a contributor.. :bier:

As a new owner of a 2004 Ballabio, what are some of the things I should be preparing myself for with regards to repairs?

Obviously the crossover pipe seal (for which a cure has been designed here).

The shifter pawl spring? Does that apply to the 2004 years? Should I carry one on the bike in the event of a failure and is it something I could replace on the side of a road?

I've also read of the rear end locking up. Either from improperly adjusted brakes, or a failure of a bearing. Is this something that also affects the 2004?

Is there anything else that I should be paying close attention to? :luigi:

Thanks for the help

Doug.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Doug,

I am also a new Ballabio owner from MA, I am picking my bike up from Wagner Motorsports in Worcester next Saturday. I can’t wait to take it for a ride, I have had an 850T in the garage for a few years, but it spent most of it’s time in the garage for one reason or another instead of on the road. Now I will have something that I can put some miles on. Where did you purchase your Ballabio from?

Regards,

Chris

Hi Doug,

I am also a new Ballabio owner from MA, I am picking my bike up from Wagner Motorsports in Worcester next Saturday. I can’t wait to take it for a ride, I have had an 850T in the garage for a few years, but it spent most of it’s time in the garage for one reason or another instead of on the road. Now I will have something that I can put some miles on. Where did you purchase your Ballabio from?

Regards,

Chris

Congratulations!

I actually found it listed on the National MG Owners classified section. It's out of Iowa City and is supposed to be in transit home. It was a one owner bike with pretty low mileage in great shape.

With the weather starting to break, I'm pretty excited. First order of business will be to put new tires on it (I'm weird that way. I have to have tires that are new and that I know the history of :) ) and probably preemptively a new battery so that I start the riding season fresh. For tires, I'm thinking of the new Pirelli Corsa Diablo III. They are getting good write ups and seem to be a good sticky tire. I'm curious as to what other owners are using for tires or if there is a specific tire that works particularly well on the V11.

We'll definitely have to get together for a ride.

Doug

That’s funny, I emailed the sales dept. about that bike last week and they replied (very nicely) that it was sold pending payment. It looks like a great bike and it has heated grips!!! The bike I bought has a new set of Michelin Pilot Roads, I had them on my Triumph 955i Daytona and they weren’t too bad. The Pilot Roads are kind of hard and have a more rounded profile, but I couldn’t break them loose with the Triumph and they wear really well. I just put a set of the Pilot Powers on my Supermoto bike, if they work out as well as I am expecting I will probably buy a set for the Guzzi when it is time for new tires.

When the weather gets a little warmer and the roads clear up we should meet somewhere in the middle of the state and head North, or South, or wherever…

Guest GuzziLee

Hi Doug,

Regards,

Chris

Greetings,

What a small Guzzi world it is. I too just bought a left over 2004 Ballabio from Wagner on Saturday came home and found this forum. I pick it up in two weeks. I beleive I saw your bike at Wagner with a sold sign on it. We are from Western Ma. in the Berkshires 01257. Have many Guzzi's, The 2 Sp's in the pic are for sale a 650 and 1000. Lets ride.

What's the issue with this Pawl Spring???

post-4493-1173840435_thumb.jpg

Welcome new Guzzi owners! You Mass guys be sure to check out the thread regarding New England riders, hopefully we can all get together some time. I'm just over the border in NY and ride alot in western mass, so keep in touch.

Hal

Hi Lee, I picked up my bike from Wagner on Saturday the 10th. I also noticed that the “new” Ballabio was sold. Fortunately I was able to take it for a quick spin last Tuesday to get the inspection taken care of before winter returned. So far, I love it!!! I miss my 850T, but the Ballabio is going to make a great replacement.

I am from Granby (01033), which is right around the corner from Mt Holyoke College. I spend a lot time in the Berkshires for my job and fortunately I can ride the bike, so I am really looking forward to spring!!! Coincidentally, I will be working in Great Barrington quite a bit over the next two months, we should hook up for lunch.

I just took my first ride of the Spring, and for that matter, my first ride on the Ballabio and must honestly say I'm smitten. It's better than even I thought it would be. Great torque, great sound, great brakes. I can't wait to get this thing out and give it a proper flogging :race: .

This week it's getting its fresh Pirelli's, all oil changes, (forks, crankcase, tranny, rear end, brake and clutch fluids).

On another note, the new Suomy Spec 1R helmet I just picked up seemed to be pretty good too. Much nicer fit than my old HJC. Seems quieter to me too.

It's gonna be a long week without the bike. :(