Hepco Becker mounts on V11 - some feedback

Guest Britcheflee

Guest Britcheflee

So it took me about a day and a half of fiddling about but I now have the Hepco Becker mounts attached to my Ballabio - here are a couple of comments which I hope will be of help.

First thing get the mounts all laid out and ready to go - you will need a variety of metric allen keys and some metric spanners. Remove seat, then remove U shaped side panel - there are two large allen bolts at the front by the tank two underneath at about mid way and two at the top back - gently jiggle this about and it will come off - put aside safely so you dont step on it and crack it. Remove tool kit at tool kit tray retained by one nut that goes through the bottom and the mudguard. I then removed the two bolts which retain the seat latch - put the bolts and nuts back on to save them getting lost and push this aside - the rear inner plastic cover should then come off. The next thing you want to decide on is if you want to cut a slot or completely remove the mudgard underneath at the back - this is retained by four nuts - I decided on the slot approach and actually had to cut a little more to the rear to get the cross member to fit. The cross member has a tab which you have to feed up through the slot and then get to mate on the underneath of the part of the frame with the 3 bolts in it - (the picture describes this better) - I actually had the thing facing the wrong way at first as the tab has a lip which should face to the front of the bike - I used my dremmel tool to ream out the two bolt holes on the frame to allow the bolts to slip through freely as otherwise it is a bugger to tighten up as these are threaded - I used nylock nuts to secure this - but at first put it on loosely.

Now, if you have the underneath of the mudgard off remove the two turn signal stalks - I had to loosen this to get to them afterwards as it covers the retaining nut inside. At the back end of the bike is the wiring that goes to the two turn signals - I made a note of wiring and removed the wires from the connectors and pulled the wires through (more of this later)

The side mounts fit on the inside of the top rear bolt and bottom bolt of the rear footpeg assembly - I discovered that the bolts were too short so had to get some longer ones which made putting the side frame on easier. Attach these loosely and then jiggle the whole thing around so that the cross member meets with the side mounts and you can screw this in place. Gradually tighten everything up (I started with the tab up top).

Now attach the cross piece which the turn signals attach to....of course if you are unlucky like me you will find that the wiring is far too short so you have to solder on more wire to make the wiring reach - to neaten things up I drilled two small holes in the side of the number plate light and fed the wires back in through this, up underneath, and with much fiddling got the wires back up through the rear hole up top and re-connected them. - More pics should show this. I eventually got everything tightened up and where the two holes are where the turn signal stalks go I popped in two plastic trim retainers to neaten this up. Zip tie the wiring all back together as is was before.

When I put the cross member in I cut a bit of rubber in a rectangular shape and cut a slot in this which I fed over the tab - I used black sealant and some black self tapping screws to hold this in place which covers the slot to keep out dust and water.

If you have a rear rack with the mounts I would wait until you put back on the various bits of trim and plastic before putting this on - makes doing that easier - if it does not line up just loosen the cross member screws a bit as well as the side mounts and give it a bit of a tweak then tighten all up again.

I am going to post pics on following post....

Here are pics of the work done:

These show the spot where the tab connects, the side mount connection locations, the place where I drilled the holes for the wiring for the turn signal stems and the rubber cover underneath as well as the turn signal holes filled:

post-1974-1172604581_thumb.jpg

post-1974-1172604601_thumb.jpg

post-1974-1172604634_thumb.jpg

post-1974-1172604657_thumb.jpg

post-1974-1172604669_thumb.jpg

post-1974-1172604680_thumb.jpg

FWIW, the kit I bought from Chris at Eurotech had wiring extensions and all the proper hardware to complete the project.

It took me two hours.

The racks really ugly up the bike, but having the bags is nice. Girls especially like having a backrest.

Guest Britcheflee

FWIW, the kit I bought from Chris at Eurotech had wiring extensions and all the proper hardware to complete the project.

It took me two hours.

The racks really ugly up the bike, but having the bags is nice. Girls especially like having a backrest.

I dont mind them that much - maybe because my bike is a darker color they dont stand out that much and the bags are the smaller 30L ones - major kudos to Chris at Eurotech as the bag I ordered literally was on my doorstep the very next afternoon of ordering them.

Here is a pic of them installed.

post-1974-1172632009_thumb.jpg

Glad you got them installed. I know I spent the better part of the afternoon. Lockable, water tight storage is a wonderful thing. :D

I would echo what Mike said about a bag of "stuff", which included any additional hardware, longer bolts, wiring extentions, etc. As I mentioned, I had an alignment problem that took a bit of time to work out too.

Zoom Zoom,

John Henry