leaking fuel level sender

wambiker

Hi all, I was out for the day today and while sat outside a cafe with a brew and sticky bun, I looked at the bike. Bad move as I noticed what appeared to be fuel on top of the left-hand throttle body. On closer inspection it appears I have developed a leak either round or through the sender for the fuel light. The little rubber cover on the bottom of it was happily collecting fuel. Dried everything off and decided it was a very minor leak and the heat of the bike would probably evaporate it. I got home in the dark so will have to whip the tank of tomorrow, but wondered if this was a common problem?

Cheers Gary

Guest ratchethack

I haven't noticed any prior complaints about this here or on any other Forum, and I don't have a silver bullet f'er you, Gary. :huh2: But since we have the same model & year Guzzi (and likely the same run o' senders), maybe a few possible throw-away thoughts will at least provide some support?

Looks to me like there are at least 2 simple and easy possibilities to go after f'er starters: The sender is affixed via two button-head socket screws with gasket between sender and tank. Simply checking it for tightness would be one approach, possibly followed up by application of appropriate sealant to the gasket, should this not solve the problem.

The sender itself appears to have a threaded coupling in it, which may benefit from tightening and/or similar application of sealant.

That's all I got -- good luck & post back with results. :luigi:

Thanks for that ratchet, I'll have a look at all of those when I pull the tank off tomorrow. Those where my first thoughts, I just wondered whether this was a common fault, but as it would appear not, one or other of the above is most likely. I'll post when I've had a look.

Cheers Gary

Hi, as usual when I go to look at problem leak has disapeared, but checked bolts and large nut on sender,and the nut took about 3/4 of a turn without to much effort, so maybe that was it. will see what happens.

Cheers Gary