167 hp 2-Valve Moto Guzzi - Honest!

ALLAN

Last week at Daytona, prior to the AMA guys getting on the track, I was watching a “Battle of the Twins Formula 1” race. I was mesmerized by the speed of the leading motorbike because the announcer was calling it a 2007 Moto Guzzi. Following the race I headed for the garage area to search out the bike and rider. The rider, Gianfranco Guarecchi, won the same event in 2006 on a MGS01. The bike he showed up at Daytona with this year was no MGS01. The engine castings, from the cylinders on down, look like any production V11. The bike is void of the neat machined gear box found on the MGS01. But this bike sported a big radiator out front; it’s water cooled. It’s 2-valves per side. It is 1,350 cc and makes 167 hp at the crank. That last number I had confirmed by two different sources.

The bike the Guzzi beat was a beautiful, and very trick, 1,200cc NCR Ducati 2-valver weighing 286 lbs. The Guzzi is 396 lbs. The rider of the Ducati, Valter Bartolini, is the European “Twins “ champion. The Ducati had a noticeable advantage in handling, especially braking, and would also pull the Guzzi out of the corners. The M-G had a ‘marked’ advantage on top speed, so much so that on the last lap the Ducati had at least a 10-bike length lead over the M-G coming out of the chicane (last corner) and the Guzzi closed the gap and won at the line. Guarecchi told me the bike was a “lot faster then his MGS01.”

Gianfranco was turning 1:45 lap times. The very quickest ‘Supersport’ 600’s and ‘Formula Extreme’ bikes ran high 1:41’s. Larry Pegram, on a factory supported NCR 748 Ducati turned 1:43’s. The Moto Guzzi showed, to my eye, an amazing amount of speed. It flew by a couple of Buell XBRR’s – I mean there was no comparison.

FYI – my Italian is poor and the guys running the Moto Guzzi effort spoke little English but two ‘independent’ sources told me that the ‘factory’ was involved. Speculate anyway you wish.

I will post photos if someone can tell me how to do it.

It’s 2-valves per side. It is 1,350 cc and makes 167 hp at the crank. That last number I had confirmed by two different sources.

I will post photos if someone can tell me how to do it.

Well , that explains my questions back at the other thread of why getting a 2valver.

About posting pics either go to http://www.imageshack.us and follow instruction (upload and copy link to post here) or under your post board go to browse> add atachment>and then add to post button and there it is.

(BIG BORE)Here are some good pictures of a similar machine! http://www.guzzisti.it/page_builder.php?fi...re/big_bore.htm Here is a link to the manufacture http://www.bigbore.it/

I think that's another machine over there on that MGS ,compared with the newest on Daytona race which has less cc (1340 , than 1420) and much more power 167CV to 125 ,,different heads as well.

I think that's another machine over there on that MGS ,compared with the newest on Daytona race which has less cc (1340 , than 1420) and much more power 167CV to 125 ,,different heads as well.

You are correct; the 'Daytona' M-G is different. I am working on posting some photos.