Grey stuff in sump and one valve cover

dlapierre

So I bought this project. An 03' v11 Sport with some visible cosmetic damage. Since, I've been going through the bike checking everything. Seeing how black the oil was, I removed the sump and found a bit of grey sludge under the screen filter. The oil also looked like it had a wee bit of water in it. A couple of small, milky-like streaks.

So, new oil, filter, cleaned sump.

Didn't surprise me to see what appeared to be water. The bike has some rust on it and looked like it had been left in the rain more than once.

Yesterday I retorqued the heads and adjusted the valves. Nothing too out of adjustment, but it clearly needed it all done. But I'm puzzled by the appearance again of some of the grey sludge appearing on only one of the valve covers.

All clean and adjusted, I fired up the bike, heard the nice even ticking sounds of the valves as they should be, but am also hearing a bit of a knocking sound, only at low idle. It goes away as I rev up, and doesn't appear during the wind-down. Just at idle. Same sound as my diesel tractor makes when I start it on a cold day.

I put a piece of metal pipe against different parts of the engine, make-shift stethascope style, and the sound is most apparent towards the rear of the engine.

What's the diagnosis?

The bike only has a few over 7,000 miles showing on the odometer.

Guest ratchethack

. . .Same sound as my diesel tractor makes when I start it on a cold day.

Hm. I don't have a diesel tractor, but I've heard a few, and I think I know wot you mean.

Now if I DID have a diesel tractor, I reckon it'd make noises somewot like my Guzzi, and every other well-tuned Guzzi I've listened to at idle. :huh2:

IMHO the V11 motor will shrug off a little sludge in the sump and rocker covers, and a little condensation water in the sump more or less like it never existed. I wouldn't get too worked up over the idea that it may've never had an oil change before, either -- though I'd be sure to get it on schedule going forward. Kinda like a diesel tractor, come to think of it. ;)

You're still well within break-in. Mine didn't stop loosening up until somewhere near 20K miles.

I'd enjoy breaking it in via my favorite break-in method, as so well explained and backed up with a depth of hard evidence by MOTOMAN! :notworthy:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

When I fist noticed the same knocking noise on mine I asked the guys at Moto I. about it. They said it is the sound of the transmission parts reacting to the uneven power pulses of the engine at idle. That is why it goes away at anything above idle. They all make that noise I guess....works for me! :mg:

Randy

If you ruled out clutch chatter my bet would be on the transmission. The uneven power pulses can cause the gears to load and unload and make a little racket. The funny part is my Scura's clutch actually make more noise than my JD 410 backhoe!!!

These last two answers/suggestions make sense.

Having become acutely aware of the sound, danged if I didn't hear the same thing from a Suzuki Savage I keep around to discourage my kids from stealing my good bikes. I putted around the snowpiles remaining in my yard the other day, just to make sure the bikes still runs well, and heard the same thing.

I'm no longer worried.

I'm pretty sure your JD backhoe sounds better than my old Case tractor.