Throttle cable #2

Ouiji Veck

30K and I'm on my 3rd. They seem to be self distructing, chafing on the

sheath end. I keep 'em lubed... I've played with the bracket and orientation.

Maybe I'll get 20 out of this one.

Anyone else eating cables?

I don't have the miles nor the cable replacements to prove this works but try mixing 1:1 moly (like Kalgard Engine Guard) with Mobil1 10w-30 and see if that works better as a cable lube. Then take the time to dribble this into the cable up top at throttle barrel until it comes out the other end. It is messy, but it certainly improves throttle action/ease of use.

Guest ratchethack

Strange, Weej. :huh2:

Wot're you using for cable lube?

I've been feeding mine an occasional slug o' 30 wt. gravity-fed overnight thru a masking tape funnel. I get a little seep at the TB for awhile afterward. Original cable still works slick as a whistle at 32K miles. It's always been far more'n slick enough for the return spring to pull the cable back at any throttle opening.

Hey txrider -- sounds like a good application for moly. :thumbsup:

Yesterday I lubed my cable for the second time in 37K miles...no problems, except for the tiniest bit of fraying at the throttle body's pully. Fraying is not visible to the Presbyopic and far-sighted, but I can feel it snag when rubbing a rag against it.

It has no effect on performance yet, but I fear it will unravel....but then again, I have feared that since noticing ~20K miles ago.

Maybe your problem is how the cable is routed :huh2:

Is it such a good idea to be repeatedly lubing cables? On previous bikes, assuming it's a modern lined cable I just wipe down once a year and only lube the ends. And they have always lasted the distance.

Guest ratchethack

Is it such a good idea to be repeatedly lubing cables? On previous bikes, assuming it's a modern lined cable I just wipe down once a year and only lube the ends. And they have always lasted the distance.

Me too, Foxy.

HOWEVER -- coupla thoughts:

A "modern" moto may or may not be safely assumed to be equipped with many items that are safely NOT ASSUMED to be found on the Guzzi. I haven't pulled off the cable shroud ends on the throttle cable to look for a liner. But I've looked at the inside of the speedo cable shroud, and it's steel-on-steel. Many V11 speedo cables have rusted and/or broken. IMHO this happens prematurely due to lack of lube.

The clutch cable ( ;) !) is listed for lubrication in the Service History manual, though of course, there isn't one. (It also lists tightening wheel spokes and lubing center stand.) :whistle: By my experience, the throttle cable works noticably easier after lubing than before, and shows no ill effects wotsoever from lubing after 32K miles. My best guess (and that's all it is, based on my experience -_- ) is that it's not lined. Put it this way -- if it IS lined, it's lined with something that appears to benefit from lube.

No mention of lubing cables of any kind are made in either the Owner's, or Service manuals. But keep in mind, there are likewise no mentions of lubing shock eyes, rear hub splines, shift lever shaft, cush drive collar, speedo cable, steering head bearings, swingarm bearings, etc., in ANY of the manuals, and all of these are clearly designed to be lubed, several of which actually come DRY from Mandello -- and are typically NOT lubed as part of prep by the dealer. :o

On some of them, the bracket into which the sheath inserts at the TB end is malformed such that the inner cable is rubs on the side of the sheath during part of cable travel. With a stout pliers, you can often tweak the bracket enough to eliminate this contact.

On some of them, the bracket into which the sheath inserts at the TB end is malformed such that the inner cable is rubs on the side of the sheath during part of cable travel. With a stout pliers, you can often tweak the bracket enough to eliminate this contact.

On close examination I believe this is my problem rather than lube.

(it gets spooged every 5K or so with a proper cable oiler / white lithium/ top down)

So far I believe my lubrication has mostly served as cutting oil.

I will also move throttle cable inspection up to "check oil, tire pressure" status.

(every ride) Checking mostly for abrasive road grit. It gets pretty nasty down there.

I've considered sealing it in a gob of silicone....( I know, that will trap the grit IN).

We'll see if I can get more than 15K out of this one.