K&N vs. UFI

quazi-moto

Welp, my attempt at installing the K&N HP-1002 oil filter didn't quite work. The fancy little nut on the bottom of the filter makes contact with the manhole cover and as a result the sump can't be re-installed properly. A small spacer fitted between the manhole cover and sump would be an adequate fix though. Its only a matter of maybe .030" - .040", if that. A couple things I noticed in terms of construction of the filters is that the gasket is appreciably thicker on the UFI filter (this was already pointed out in another thread) and the distance from the gasket down to the start of the 3/4"-16 thread is appreciably bigger on the UFI filter. Probably in the neighborhood of .100" (approx.) and this might explain why a few of these have fallen right off into the sump. I'm going to make up a manhole spacer and run the K&N filter. I don't trust the UFI.

snip

Its only a matter of maybe .030" - .040",

snip

What a coincidence! A Pete Roper Moto Moda Shloppage Shleet with necessary gaskets is more than thick enough to allow for the K&N. The amazing sheet that lets you go faster and not lose your oil pressure nor your oil filters!!!

We keep finding out more wonderful purposes for this sheet.

If only Pete thought of everything, and it came pre-drilled for you to SS safety wire the filter to it...or maybe it does...Look at that!!!

PICT0002-8.jpg

Not sure which holes to use, but I am pretty sure any of a few would do the trick.

Shucks, I don't think the sloopy sheet will provide any extra clearance for the filter because it just drops the whole upper sump plate down a bit leading me to believe that the clearance between the bottom of the filter and manhole cover will remain unchanged. Oh well, I'd still like to get me a sloppy plate though.

Shucks, I don't think the sloopy sheet will provide any extra clearance for the filter because it just drops the whole upper sump plate down a bit leading me to believe that the clearance between the bottom of the filter and manhole cover will remain unchanged. Oh well, I'd still like to get me a sloppy plate though.

:homer:

Sorry about giving false hopes. Me stupid :blush:

when I first clicked on it I thought it was K&N vs UNI, I thought OH Good God here we go again :lol: but maybe I should learn to read, and type, better :doh:

could you stick that nut on that KnN up against a grinding wheel and shave off half of it? just a thought, don't know what it could hurt if its just a superficial nut anyway not pretty, but effective :huh2: , can't back off the filter if its held on by the manhole right?

I need me a sloppy sheet but I'm trying to find a new job first :(

Isn't the large hole in the sloppage plate clearance for the filter? If so, and the filter mounts as usual, it would provide the extra clearance you seek. I think I recall seeing some pix that would answer this. Or you could ask Pete Roper.

Guest ratchethack

Isn't the large hole in the sloppage plate clearance for the filter? If so, and the filter mounts as usual, it would provide the extra clearance you seek. I think I recall seeing some pix that would answer this. Or you could ask Pete Roper.

The PRV assembly, into which the filter threads, gets lowered with the sump and spacer as mentioned above by QM, so no added clearance for the K&N. :helmet:

Its only a matter of maybe .030" - .040", if that. I'm going to make up a manhole spacer and run the K&N filter. I don't trust the UFI.

One thing to keep in mind is that someone, I think Ryland, suggested that the filter may balloon a bit when under pressure.

This POSSIBLY could be too much pressure for the hatch to handle with the filters nut bearing down on it.

You might want to make sure you have a little clearance.

How much, maybe the distance of 1/2 turn on the threads.

That way if it starts to come undone, it should not get looser than gasket making contact, and maybe the ballooning pressure will force it to screw back on :P

Not likely, but at least it will be less likely to come off while under pressure.

I like DeBen's idea of grinding the nut down enough to give it the proper clearance. :bier:

EDIT another idea would be to put a shloppage shleet between sump and pan.

The shloppy shleet won't change the clearance between the bottom of the filter and the manhole cover. I think I'm just going to make up a spacer for the manhole cover that will provide a little clearance between the nut on the filter and the manhole cover. I don't want the filter actually making contact with the manhole cover. I don't think that would be wise.