Does Size Matter on a Lemans?

steveej60

I am new to the forum but very much enjoyed a short liason with a '96 1100 Sport in the late '90's. I am in the market for a used Lemans but have a question for tall Guzzists who have or have had a newer Lemans ('02-'05). I am 6'2" and 205lbs. I have a 35" shirt inseam and 34" pants length. I don't think I'll have a problem with the reach to the bars on a Lemans but am concerned with the leg position and overall comfort of the bike. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? I can't find any bikes around where I live to sit on for comparison. Thanks. Steve

I bought my le mans off a guy your size becuase it was way to small for him. The thing about these bikes is that they have a long reach to the bars and short reach to the pegs. I put on the motobits rearsets which give and extra inch or two and at 5'9" (30inch inseam) I feel a little cramped on longer rides. If you can't get your hands on one to test, try sitting on a chair and tucking your legs under the chair for a while(resting your feet on the legs of the chair). The distance between your hip bone and your heels will be about 16 inches.

Well, my dimensions are about the same but I have 20 pounds on you. (I'm not boasting here, it ain't muscle). I am comfortable enough on my 2000 V11 sport for about 400 miles. My legs do get cramped, but I stretch them while I ride. I have swan neck bars on mine in the lowest position-- no back or neck aches. Oh yeah, I'm 44 years old and none too flexible.

The sport is no touring rig, but can cover fair sized distances on the back roads with reasonable comfort.

fish

I'm 6'1" with the same arm and leg lengths as you. The peg location isn't a problem for me but the reach to the bars bothers an old shoulder injury of mine after a couple of hours. There are a number of lower footpeg and higher/closer handlebar solutions out there if needed. Personally I'd like to have the bars about an inch higher and an inch closer but again I have a gimpy shoulder.

I'm 6'3" and 275 lbs (also, all muscle... ;)). I don't think the le mans is too small at all. The only thing is that after a couple of hours the legs need some space. Easily be solved by adding Buell pegs, or just take a break. The overall comfort is ok for a sporttourer, on the level of any other bike in the market (VFR, CBR1000 etc), but the le mans wins when it comes down to engine and driving characteristics (if you like it).

Go take it for a long ride and decide yourself, it's a very personal thing...

Thanks for all the great responses, guys. Especially to the guy from the Netherlands- it is a VERY personal decision to go for something very different and distinctive with all the great bikes on the market featuring mounds of torque and horsepower. I live in a good sized city (Denver) and I also need a bike that will allow me to keep up with the Yahoos in their Bimmers and Escalades without getting blown off the road. I'm also considering a Duc ST4S or even a Hayabusa for that very reason. Decisions, decisions......