Rich Maund saddle critique

stogieBill

Hello listers,

The weather here is finally warming to good riding conditions. A friend and I decided we needed to do our annual season opener, a 415 + mile lap around the Trinity Alps of Northern California. :drink:

I left home at 6:00 AM to reach Dennis's place in Willow Creek at 7:00 AM. It was overcast and a bit cool at around 40 degrees F. Leaving Eureka, I took US 101 North to route 299 and rode it East over the coastal mountains to Willow Creek. Arriving at Dennis and Shelly's and warming up with a large serving of homemade bisquits and gravy :food: and a steaming mug of coffee, I almost thawed out from the chilly ride over the mountains.

From Willow Creek we take route 96 all the way to Yreka. This is a great, under appreciated 2-lane highway that traverses some beautiful country along the Trinity and Klamath Rivers. A butt break was in order at Happy Camp being about half way to Yreka. We reached Yreka at around 11:30 AM and gassed up and headed South on route 3 to Weaverville. :bike: Highway 3 runs along the eastern boundary of the Trinity Alps and Trinity Lake.

Weaverville is a small city/community and the County seat for Trinity County. You think Weaverville, you think isolated rural. There is not a single traffic signal in the entire County. :grin: It just happens to be the junction of route 3 and route 299. We had a brief lunch in a small diner at 1:00PM, gassed up and headed west on route 299 along the Trinity River. :race: Route 299 is legendary for its great riding and scenic beauty, but the traffic was almost nonexistent yesterday.

We arrived in Willow Creek at 3:00 PM, congratulated each other on a fine ride and parted. West on route 299 over the coastals and back to US 101. I was home by a little before 4:00PM

The Scura ran flawless :mg: and my new Maund saddle passed the acid test. :thumbsup: My ass loves me again.

If you're ever in this neck of the woods, you owe it to yourself to give this loop a try. :thumbsup:River_2_Low_rez.JPG

I've got to agree with you on this route you took Bill...I have been over it (and variations of it) many times it is a dandy!

River roads are my and my Le Man's favorites. Lots of big sweepers with wonderful lines of sight. I'm sure these are the roads Guzzi had in mind when they designed these bikes. :thumbsup:

And I agree about how wonderful a job Rich Maund does on the Moto Guzzi saddle. Mine took a bit longer to break in than your's seems to be having but after about 5K in it is is broken in perfectly. It's never my butt that forces me to take a break anymore...it's the other worn out parts of my body. Now if Rich could only do something about my knees...heh. ;)

Motobits from Moto International or the kit from Ryland3210 shown HERE should help your knees out if the Buell peg solution isn't adequate.

I'll second Tom's advise. The Motobits gives you just enough room without sacrificing ground clearance. Machine work is top notch and the added bonus is shifting is improved.