another Deer vs Bike story

jbuzbee

Before I begin, I'm compelled to share the fact that I feel much more at home here than over at the BMW site. You guys talk about racing, and customizing, and other really cool stuff. The beemers seem to only debate wind shields, seat comfort, and the benifits of dino over synth.

Well, with that said here's the story. Coming home last Saturday night from a weekend with friends in North Florida I was heading down US 41 between Williston and Dunnellon at dusk - in excess of 60 mph. I don't want to think it but I was prolly doing 80. Well, you guessed it: hit not one but two deer. Bike split one deer in two and instantly killed the other (poor buggers).

Bike: 2004 BMW R1150R

Damage: Fork sliders binding, headlight, motolight, turn signals, left side engine guard and valve cover, and front beak (bo-who - hated that thing anyway).

Gear: HJC full face helmet, alpine stars SB jacket and gloves, jeans and sneakers.

Rider: 1964 idiot

Damage: sprained right ankle, bruised left side rib cage. that's it.

These bikes are incredible. It's hard to believe there isn't more damage. I have to believe the V11 is just as robust. Bottom line I was traveling way too fast for the present conditions. Be careful out there!

01.jpg

02.jpg

perky tit's would have probably faired a little better!

05.jpg

It's a jungle out there! :doh:

Pitty about the bike but glad you got away with the close deer encounter despite the strained ankle.

I live in forrest area myself so I know exactly what it's like.

Get well soon.

Cheers

Søren

Before I begin, I'm compelled to share the fact that I feel much more at home here than over at the BMW site. You guys talk about racing, and customizing, and other really cool stuff. The beemers seem to only debate wind shields, seat comfort, and the benifits of dino over synth.

Sorry to hear about your wreck. I live in a wooded area and have had more than a few close encounters. Luckily no hits yet. Glad you were not hurt badly. A good friend's son cut a deer in two last summer at high speed. He is still in a walking cast after a few ankle surgeries.

I'm right there with ya on the BMW forum. This place is where it's at, most here are not as full of themselves. :thumbsup: .

You're a very lucky man, I hit a stag in the early hours of the morning in the Scottish highlands.Luckily for me (but not the stag sadly) I was driving a 44 tonne truck at the time. The damage to the truck was amazing-it came very close to being undrivable!

I don’t want to hear no more story about hitting animals on the road.

No more hitting deer, weasels, marmots, polar bears, yeti or what ever!

I am on vacation at that time and I want and demand to have a problem less weekend in Scotland and not to hit nothing on the roads over there.

My wife is not reading this, (thanx God) and I have no intention to tell her about meeting beasts on the road.

I start to believe you guys are just making a complot to us people from the continent to come in the UK and stay brave.

But héy, I have Mistral….

Gear: HJC full face helmet, alpine stars SB jacket and gloves, jeans and sneakers.

Glad your ok too.

However I must say I'm surprised to read you were only wearing jeans and sneakers!

I wonder if boots would have minimized the ankle injury? I read somewhere that the feet are most prone to damage do to their proxmity to the ground.

No more hitting deer, weasels, marmots, polar bears, yeti or what ever!

LOL... that's funny right there...

My basic rule of thumb about Deer, Groundhogs, & Dogs. :2c:

If you can't see at least 20 yards of open space on both sides the highway... slow way down and open the eyes wider. :race: Tree lined roads should never be run at high speed... especially at dawn & dusk... and more especially during mating season (the Deer's, not mine).

It's a jungle out there! :doh:

Pitty about the bike but glad you got away with the close deer encounter despite the strained ankle.

I live in forrest area myself so I know exactly what it's like.

Get well soon. strange i havn't seen you around and abought! :D

Cheers

Søren

Guest Britcheflee

EEwwww!!!!....what's the best cleaning product to remove deer goop from your bike?

Very scary - watched a video on you tube a while back showed one guy whacking a deer - each time I ride along wooded roads now I am watching out for them - problem is that they just pop out from the side of the road and are in front of you in an instant - only just missed two of them the other day in the car.

Very glad to hear you were not hurt.

Lee

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Boots: hell yes. I'm going to invest in a good pair once the bike gets back together. It was a tree lined stretch of road, at dusk. Not a good situation at all.

Went back to the crash site yesterday. Bike slid approximately 90 - 100 feet. I slid around 10 feet less - 80 - 90 feet. Found the missing moto light, and the damn beak (the ugly front fender) survived! the damn thing wont die!!

You guys probably aren't to familiar with this bike so here's a before pic:

before.jpg

And the after:

01.jpg