How does one say "Gilera?"

Skeeve

Just looking at some pics of the new Gilera Fuoco [500cc, "Hummer" styled :vomit: version of the Piaggio MP3] & realized: I have no idea how to say "Gilera!"

I know it isn't the "j" sound, which requires the double g's, like in the parent company's name. But is it an aspirated "h" sound, like in Spanish, or a hard g like in the fish "gills" or what? :huh2:

I've always read it like "hilera," but that's just my high school Spanish classes coming back to haunt me... :grin:

TIA

:mg:

Guest ratchethack

I'm no Italian expert, but I only ever remember hearing it pronounced with the hard G.

EDIT: That's wrong. I'm sure I've heard announcers of vintage races use Nige's pron. below.

I DO know the '52 Gilera Saturno 500 single below sure is a beauty. :wub:

From wot I understand, in their day, the Saturno SS racers gave the Guzzi Falcone's serious trouble on the track with their superior handling, but their "distribution" made 'em less than reliable over long distances. Now there seems to be a translation challenge here. "Distribution" could mean the magneto ignition, or could it possibly mean "transmission"?? :rolleyes:

post-1212-1179526297_thumb.jpg

Difficult to tell you via this medium.....

As far as I know though......

Spelt phonetically.....

Jillaira

How does that sound?

Saturno01.jpg

Here is my old 'new' Saturno :thumbsup:

Nige. B)

What little "street sicilian" I picked up in the four years I was over there would agree with the soft-g pronunciation, like Nige said. Er, typed. :huh2:

Gilera = Jill-air-uh

In Italian, the "Gi" always sounds like "J".

Giacomo = JOCK-oh-mo

Buon Giorno = Bon Jor-no

etc, etc, etc...