Has anyone disassembled the factory exhaust cans?

Crooz

Has anyone out there disassembled the factory (brownish colored) exhaust canisters as found on the 02 LeMans?

Here's my thinking.... I was about to take my header pipes & factory cross-over to the local Coating Business and have them ceramic coated. Then I thought... what could you not do the same for the canister skins?

I have had the tips off before just snooping around, and I assume you remove the top cap near the front exposing the two other connector bolts. Then remove the mounting bracket bolts and the skins slip off? Is this correct? If so, is there a possibility I can't get them back together and holes aligned? HELP please!

Thanks in advance... :huh2:

I got a second pair cheap/used from a forum member and the outer covers appear ceramic coated. Very black and the coating is too good and heat resistant to simply be paint - however there are scratches under the coating from a previous spill. Guy was either a great rider or mechanic after my own heart who let the bike get outta control while checking oil level.

In any event, I've had the outer coverings off and put them back on without problem while assessing surgery to improve tone. I've abandoned that effort and now have a stock set where noise might be an issue (local MSF class or track days in restrictive areas), and my "empty pipes". This is stock pipe with no internals, but through-bolted from each end. Ridiculous loud, but more often envied than despised.

Still want a set of MG Ti's before they get too hard to get....