Dead Battery woes and flickering charging light question

RichPugh

First off, this is my first Guzzi. When I bought it, it cranked for a sec then clickykykykykyky... nothing. The seller explained the battery had seen a few seasons without winter care and is probably in need of replacing but, if left on the slow charger or jump started or push started, it will work. We push started it to get it running that evening. At this point, the battery (currently an Odyssey PC545), if left on a slow charger, will start the bike but while idling around 1000rpm, the charging light will flicker. I do NOT want to continue to ride the bike with the dead or weak battery as I dont want to tax my charging system so I decided to get a replacement ASAP. Initially, I chose another PC545 or PC545MJ but ended up getting a YUASA YTZ12S as the tech bulletin suggested as an OEM replacement. Also it was available locally and quickly... I'll worry about another battery choice next time :)

Do the V11's charging "battery" lights flicker at low idle characteristically? I will be putting the new battery in tonight (it was slow charged @ 3amps for 2 hours before I bought it). I read several threads and have learned a lot but figured I'd ask anyway.

First off, this is my first Guzzi. When I bought it, it cranked for a sec then clickykykykykyky... nothing. The seller explained the battery had seen a few seasons without winter care and is probably in need of replacing but, if left on the slow charger or jump started or push started, it will work. We push started it to get it running that evening. At this point, the battery (currently an Odyssey PC545), if left on a slow charger, will start the bike but while idling around 1000rpm, the charging light will flicker. I do NOT want to continue to ride the bike with the dead or weak battery as I dont want to tax my charging system so I decided to get a replacement ASAP. Initially, I chose another PC545 or PC545MJ but ended up getting a YUASA YTZ12S as the tech bulletin suggested as an OEM replacement. Also it was available locally and quickly... I'll worry about another battery choice next time :)

Do the V11's charging "battery" lights flicker at low idle characteristically? I will be putting the new battery in tonight (it was slow charged @ 3amps for 2 hours before I bought it). I read several threads and have learned a lot but figured I'd ask anyway.

Yes the battery light will sometimes flicker at idle speed. Someone explained to me that this is caused from the alternator, but I forget the exact reason. Anyway its normal & nothing to worry about. I still have the oem factory battery in my 2001 Rosso Mandello & it starts right up every time.

After charging the battery overnight and swapping the START relay with another 5 pin relay, I raised the idle 200 rpm and all is well. It was barely idling at 8-900rpm and lumping horribly, dying intermittently. Now it's idling at 1-1100rpm and no flickering. :)