Tub-o-Ohlins?

Josh

For $30 shipped I took the chance and bought the 1093-29/514. Not sure how I'm going to respring the shock yet, may have a shop do it if its too hard. But for $30 I figure its worth the risk.

Removing the shock is pretty easy.

Removing the shock spring may or may not be difficult.

It took me several hours using tie down straps to compress the spring.

But someone posted they easily pried the retaining spring off with a screw driver. :luigi:

Once you get the original spring off, the 1093 is short enough that it will be a very easy to install, with no need to compress it to get it on.

Be sure to clean and lube the preload adjuster threads, and lube the eye sockets

For me it was easier to add lots of preload with the shock off the bike, install the shock, and then back the preload off to set the desired sag.

Well, my 1093-31/95 L406 [whatever all that means] just arrived, so if nothing else, Mitch is a fast shipper!

I can see that part of why Ohlins blew these out is the protective paint is fragile; several chip marks. Touch-up paint or nail polish will do just fine to patch/camouflage/restore the protection. Sure wish I had the info on sizing before I bought mine: 1093 seems awfully short; I'm thinking I should have ordered the 1091. Que sera sera.

Measuring as well as I can, it seems a single layer of the paint is about .007" [pin micrometer, but difficult to get an exact match on adjacent chipped/unchipped sections of the spring] for those interested in computing (checking) the accuracy of the spring formula. The total dia. of the spring is .446+a few tenths [again, difficult to get a really precise measurement; best to use this approximation] w/ two layers of the paint, so call it .432 wire diameter uncoated. I don't have calipers handy right now, so any other measurements will have to wait. ;)

Ciao!

:mg:

Seller says he's out of 1091 springs.

I wanted a heavier spring for my Nero Corsa...

:angry:

yep, that's why I took the chance and went with the 1093. At worst I'm out $30, I could care less how cheap the paint finish is. Its the spring quality that counts.

ordered a 1093 for myself, 514 pound version. As stated, $30 and a little labor (which I will have to do anyway to make sure I keep the bolt lubed and the eye from cracking) and I will know for sure.

Sure wish I had the info on sizing before I bought mine: 1093 seems awfully short; I'm thinking I should have ordered the 1091. Que sera sera.

Don't fret.

The general rule of thumb that I have heard is that the spring should be at least twice the length of the stroke.

The stroke is about 60mm or about 2.36", double that and you need a spring of at least 120mm or 4.72", so you have got a fair mount of extra spring.

IMHO less spring is less weight :bier:

EDIT But 60 mm stroke is for the Sachs.

The Ohlins is about 70mm, so the spring should be at least 140mm or at least 5.5"...still OK